Friday, September 05, 2008

Training Up a Child


“Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.” (Proverbs 22:6. ESV.)

It is homeschool time again and we are off and running. This year, instead of doing five different subjects each day, we are studying one topic for five hours every day. Wednesday was Math, yesterday was Language Arts, and today was Art. (I figured we would do something fun and exciting for Friday!)

I am thankful our Heavenly Father has provided the means for me to be able to homeschool and I consider teaching His word to be my number one priority. I want the children to grow up knowing how important God is and how vital it is to have that faith that leads to His grace! I have yet to see fruit so I am lead to believe my children are not believers yet. But, I am prayerful I will remain consistent and continue training up the young ones and sowing the seeds for the older ones. My heart’s desire is they will all grow in good soil and have roots firm in the foundation of God’s precious word. (Matthew 13:1-8.)

Last year I ordered God centered curriculum for mid week lessons from John Piper’s Children Desiring God site. Each of the younger children has a memory verse binder and a workbook. It is my goal to be unfailing in our mid week studies in God’s word. But my most challenging task at home is living by example and using my actions instead of my words to be God’s representative. The saying, “Do as I say and not as I do,” echoes in my head because that is so often my thinking. Tedd and Margy Tripp give the following reminder in INSTRUCTING A CHILD’S HEART:

“Life is a classroom. It truly is. Teaching and learning are in process twenty-four hours a day. Here's the danger! In the absence of biblical formative instruction, secular formative instructors take over. Our hearts are easily captivated by the hollow and deceptive philosophies of a godless culture (Col.2:8). The majority culture interprets life through unregenerate eyes and promotes its conclusions through various means, from advertising to education. It is like the air you breathe; you breathe it in without noticing it! So do our children! The formative instruction of our secular culture is a frightening reality. How can parents compete with the world for the minds and hearts of their children?” (Tripp, Ted & Margy. Instructing a Child's Heart.)

The older children in my home have already fell victim to peer pressure and it is a constant struggle to continue sowing the seeds but it is a life or death situation. I want to be able to say I finished the race (2 Timothy 4:7) with each of the children God has entrusted to me. God is so faithful even though I am not and His grace is always sufficient. Praise God!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails