Saturday, October 18, 2008
10 Reasons to Ponder Job's Story
(by John Piper)
John Piper is giving the first message of our Job conference right now. The audio will be up later tonight and the video tomorrow. Update: The audio, video, and notes are now available.
To whet your appetite, here are his 10 reasons for speaking on Job that he just listed in the intro of his message.
1. Hundreds of you have suffered or are suffering and are looking for light in your darkness.
2. Suffering is coming. For sure. Basic discipleship means tribulations.
3. Persecution, disease, war, disability, disaster, freak accident, assault—all are alike in this: Satan aims to destroy your faith, but God aims to strengthen it.
4. Natural disasters put theodicy in the news: tsunami, Katrina, flooding, tornadoes, avalanches.
5. God is rejected by many because of the suffering in the world.
6. There are Christians who openly question the sovereignty of God over all suffering.
7. God's wise, good, just, absolute sovereignty is pastorally precious beyond measure. Being able to say, "Satan meant it for evil, but God..." gives hope and strength. Nothing is wasted. Nothing surprises God.
8. Suffering is appointed as one way the Gospel is spread.
9. The supreme value and glory and admirableness of Christ is shown most clearly when Christians treasure Christ more than they treasure what they're losing—health, wealth, family, or life.
10. Job is the main book in the Bible dealing with suffering. It can help us in all these ways.
By John Piper. © Desiring God. Website: desiringGod.org.