[Update: It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway—even though Christmas is past, these ideas can still encourage our friends overseas. Let's keep serving them all year long!]
Here are 13 post-office-free ideas to get you started, most of which you could do right now from your desk:
- Pray specific Scripture for them and their ministry, and then email it to them.
Call or email their parents—Christmas might be just as lonely for the ones at home as the ones away.
- Purchase phone minutes for an international calling card through an online service like OneSuite and email them the account number.
- Donate frequent flier miles to them.
- Purchase an iTunes gift card for them. Have it sent to you and email them the account number.
- Commit to pray for them on a specific day of the week for a year.
- Write a song or poem or story for them. Email them the text and a recording of you reading or singing it.
- Get friends and family together to create a holiday video greeting for them using Google Video or YouTube. Include lots of people you know they miss.
- Make a year-end gift through their missions board or agency.
- Western Union—the fastest way to send money.
- Call their local florist (not everyone is in the jungle these days) and have flowers delivered, or their local Pizza Hut and have pizza delivered—with corn and shrimp as toppings!
- Donate to a charity that means a lot to them.
- Make a monthly commitment to support them financially.