Monday, October 06, 2008

No Longer Shall Your Name be Called Abram, But Your Name Shall be Abraham

My husband enjoys watching mixed martial art fights on television so it is inevitable I will see them too as I sit at my laptop. (They are a bit hard to miss with all the shouting, excitement, and blood on the mat. Gross.) The only fighter to which I pay any mind is Joe “Daddy” Stevenson only because my sons played baseball with one of his sons. Anyway…I can’t help but wonder why all of the fighters have nicknames? So far while sitting here I have heard the following: “The Predator”, “The Nightmare”, “The Spider”, and “Rampage”. What gives?

I am reminded of the disciples Simon Peter and Paul. God gave these men new names after Jesus called them to follow Him. Like Peter and Paul, Abraham and Sarah were given fresh names in the Old Testament when God said, “No longer shall your name be called Abram, but your name shall be Abraham, for I have made you the father of a multitude of nations.”…And God said to Abraham, “As for Sarai your wife, you shall not call her name Sarai, but Sarah shall be her name.” (Genesis 17:5 & 15. ESV.)

Why did God change their names? He says why He changed Abraham’s but what about Sarah, Simon Peter, and Paul? Is it because they died to themselves? Is it because they were born again?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails