Monday, November 17, 2008

A Lesson from the Vineyard

(by Jim Smith)

Listen: A Lesson from the Vineyard

Notes from Message:

"'I am the (A) true vine, and my Father is (B) the vinedresser. 2(C) Every branch in me that does not bear fruit(D) he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, (E) that it may bear more fruit. 3 Already(F) you are clean(G) because of the word that I have spoken to you. 4(H) Abide(I) in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. 5 I am the vine; (J) you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that(K) bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in me(L) he is thrown away like a branch and withers; (M) and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. 7 If(N) you abide in me, and my words abide in you, (O) ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8(P) By this my Father is glorified, that you(Q) bear much fruit and so prove to be my
disciples. 9(R) As the Father has loved me, (S) so have I loved you. Abide in my love. 10(T) If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as(U) I have kept(V) my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. 11These things I have spoken to you, (W) that my joy may be in you, and that(X) your joy may be full." (John 15:1-11. ESV.)


(To dig deeper into the word and have a fuller understanding, click on the lettered cross references.)

1. The true vine and the vinedresser.
- Christ is the head and we are the body.
- Christ is the husband and the church is the bride.
- Christ is the vine and we are the branches.

The vinedresser/gardener is God.

2. Fruitless branches.
- "Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away;"
- "If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they
gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned."

Fruitless branches - example: Judas
- He appeared saved but was not. He wanted what was on the Master's table but did not
want to follow the Master.
- The seed (Matthew 13:1-9) that does not have roots.

"Then he will say to those on his left, (A) 'Depart from me, you(B) cursed, into(C) the eternal fire prepared for(D) the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41. ESV.)

"They will suffer the punishment of (A) eternal destruction, (B) away from[a] the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might," (2 Thess 1:9. ESV.)


3. Fruit bearing branches.
- "and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit."

Pruning hurts.

11(A) "For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields(B) the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it." (Hebrews 12:11. ESV.)

"Abide in Me and I in you."

"work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, 13 for(C) it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for(D) his good pleasure." (Philippians 2:12-13. ESV.)

"So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, (A) 'If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, 32 and you will(B) know the truth, and the truth(C) will set you free.'" (John 8:31-32. ESV.)

Examine yourself to see if you are in the faith.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails