Monday, December 08, 2008

Being in God's Word Daily

"Don't play games with the Bible. Be as careful as you can in handling the Word of God. And when you can't reconcile one true thing with another. Wait and pray and study and seek the Lord. In due time, they will be reconciled." ~ John Piper ( © John Piper. Desiring God Ministries.)

My most significant transformation came when I began being disciplined in studying God’s word daily…not only by reading but also by listening. I had always believed I had faith in God but it was not the devotion that leads to His grace as I found out in 2006/ 2007 after my greatest struggle with the warfare of the sins of the flesh, and the sanctification of a daughter of the King! At that time I was like two people struggling within one flesh. My worldly desires wanted me to continue living a life of slavery to sin but my heart was being worked on by God and He was calling me to “come forth” and be obedient to Him as my Master. God, of course, won out and I have long since felt the peace that comes with the blessing of His grace. So, do I feel being in God’s word each and every day is important? Yes, I do! I believe it is imperative!

“The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple; the precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes; the fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; the rules of the Lord are true, and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, even much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and drippings of the honeycomb. Moreover, by them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward.” (Psalm 19:7-11).

God’s word renews me each day. The world taunts and my flesh beckons sin to come and temptation to consume me but being submersed in scripture and studying it out every single day keeps me focused on Him. Fellowshipping with the body (my sisters in Christ) also helps to keep my eyes fixed on Christ Jesus and our Heavenly Father. Their words of encouragement, taken from scripture, rejuvenate my soul. Memory verses keep God’s word fresh in my mind and make it easier for me to reference and/or preach to myself while fighting the good fight and as I run the race trying not to stumble and fall. (Ephesians 6:10-12.)

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” (Psalm 119:105. ESV.)

© 2008 B.T.P.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails