Monday, December 15, 2008

Pendulum Parenting

Finding a cure for wild swings between arbitrary rules by Amy Henry (World Magazine)

Today seems to have a "parenting" theme to it. As I checked out World Magazine I came across an piece by Amy Henry. She writes,
"As the children grow, the arc of the swing increases. After all, only a few short years are left in which to imprint on their tender hearts what Christianity is all about, right? Matters of indifference and personal preference become as God-etched as the Original Ten as we fight over issues like going outside with wet hair, attending youth group, and wearing jeans that are one inch below the belly button."

Read the rest of this article.

So often, especially with teens, I feel I fall into this category. Do I act as a prison warden and enforce every little thing or do I slack off and let things slide. This question actually brings me to two fabulous books I encourage all parents to read! They are CHILD TRAINING TIPS by Reb Bradley and SHEPHERDING A CHILD'S HEART by Ted Tripp. Though I may not agree with everything the author suggests (especially in CHILD TRAINING TIPS) I do have to say each of these books has been a huge blessing for me and my children. I highly recommend them!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails