Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Purity

“But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints; neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks. For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore do not be partakers with them.” (Ephesians 5:3-7. NKJV.)
With the world today and all of its temptations, purity can be quite a challenge. To always be aware of those around me and mindful of whether my words and action glorify God or cause others to stumble. Everything from the way I dress to the words I speak makes a difference. Do I show too much skin? Are my shorts, dress, and/or skirt too short and my shirt too revealing? Is my speech vulgar in nature and sexually appealing to the mind’s eye? Do I cause listeners to picture me in an inappropriate manner or are my words clean, proper, and do they exalt God? Do I maintain propriety? Am I a biblical example of a daughter of the King or a vision of the world?

Two of my favorite Jane Austen movie adaptations are “Pride and Prejudice” and “Sense and Sensibility”. In these beautiful stories of fiction the characters were intently aware of self control and respectability. Their modesty was an every moment thing. The only time a man and woman touched was at a ball, holding hands while dancing, or when a man helped a woman into a carriage. Premarital sex was not tolerated and a woman running off with a man was grounds for the whole family to be shamed and lose their standing in society. How have things come so far from there? We have become desensitized to sexual impurity through worldly advertisements, movies, books, magazines, etc. Are we so different from Sodom and Gomorrah? (Genesis 18:20-21, 19:1-22, 19:24-26.)

When my loved ones look at me do they see a reflection of Christ or someone who could have been found in the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah and destoyed by God? Am I a good representative of God and Christ Jesus or do I push those around me further from my Heavenly Father and his precious Son? I try to encourage my older children to abstain from sex before marriage as God has asked of us. With His grace we are able to keep our relationships biblical. With Christ, all things are possible!
“1 If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. 3 For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.” (Colossians 3:1-3. ESV.)

I love that verse, verse 3: "For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God." That's beautiful!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails