Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Self Examination

“My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.” (James 1: 2-4. NKJV.)

Before going any further I must first stop and look to myself and what lies in my own heart. “…for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks,” (Matthew 12:34. ESV) hence I feel convicted to reevaluate my own words and behavior before looking toward others when addressing issues. (Matthew 7:5.)

How do I conduct myself with those around me? Humbly I ask and must not get defensive when I am given an honest answer. Do I have a quiet, gentle spirit? (1 Peter 3:4.) Can others see the reflection of Christ in my speaking and actions? Am I quick to anger and slow to forgive? I ask family, friends, and especially those who live with me, and are exposed to my deeds every day, for their opinion. I tend to be on my best behavior in some situations and not as much in others. When do I feel I have the most self control? When do I feel I have the least and why? "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." (1 Peter 5:5. ESV.)

I seek counsel from my sisters in Christ. (Proverbs 27:17.) I look to the wiser women for strong, mature biblical guidance. And though I receive input from those who do not have the same faith as I do, those who are not saved, and those who are not yet mature in God’s word, I give their recommendations due weight in an effort to get the whole outside picture of me…which is very humbling! “Faithful are the wounds of a friend; profuse are the kisses of an enemy”. (Proverbs 27:6. ESV.)

© 2008 B.T.P.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails