Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Advocate Away

(by: me)

Sometimes while speaking to a friend of mine I hear her say, “Always the advocate.” As I meditate on this I find myself reminded of 1 Timothy 2:5 which says, “For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus” And if Christ Jesus is my mediator/advocate to my Heavenly Father then why would I not be a supporter for Him here in the world? If Jesus takes my word before his Father then I should not hesitate to repeat His word to everyone this side of heaven. 2 Timothy 4: 1-2 reads, “I charge you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom: Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.”

I know and understand the bible is not for everyone as God did not elect everybody. But who am I to discern whose names are written in the book of life? Would I have assumed Saul of Tarsus’s name was there? Certainly I would have thought Judas Iscariot’s name was in there yet it is not! He looked the part! Yet, I cannot see the heart. Only He who created us can!

Another piece of scripture (not quite related) I have been thinking about a lot lately is Luke 10:38-42.

“Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. 39 And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to his teaching. 40 But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, ‘Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.’ 41 But the Lord answered her, ‘Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, 42 but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.’”

Oh how I pray each day that I too will choose the “good portion”. Psalm 119:57 states, “You are my portion, O Lord.” I am thankful the Lord has placed it on my heart to be more like Mary and less like Martha…to sit at His feet and listen to His teaching instead of busy myself with everyday, empty things and vacant talk. I do not wish to be fearful and worried but rather joyful and upright with my focus steadily on Him. I desire to train the children in my home in His ways. (Proverb 22:6.)

“Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.

“But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does.

“If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one’s religion is useless. Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.” (James 1:21-27. NKJV.)

© 2009 B.T.P.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails