Thursday, January 15, 2009

Battling Sin

(by: me)

I do not know about you but my quiet more deceiving sin likes to kick my butt on a regular basis. I know I have said this many times before but I’m about to say it again…my absolute favorite book (aside from the bible) is Jerry Bridges’ RESPECTABLE SINS! His approach to everyday sin is encouraging, inspiring, and a fabulous reminder!

It drives me bonkers how easy and effortless it is to sin (though I despise it). Not to mention how fast one can fall back into a habit of civil sins. (That sounds like an oxymoron to me…like a reputable thief or a friendly enemy.)

I struggle with my own sins of anxiety, frustration, discontentment, unthankfulness, pride, impatience, anger, judgmentalism, and worldliness when in various situations…especially when dealing with stinkers and their bad attitudes!!! A feeling of “ick” wells up in my heart when my focus shifts off of God and His precious Son and onto ungodly, worldly trials. An unkind word from a stranger or when a loved one sins against me puts the squeeze of stress onto me and out of the overflow of my heart my mouth speaks. The question is, “What’s going to come out?” Is it going to be God honoring or a wretched sin of the flesh?

But I am reminded all of this is from my Heavenly Father. It first goes through His hands so that it can come to me with a great purpose. Proverbs 16:4 states, "The Lord has made everything for its own purpose, even the wicked for the day of evil." (cf. 1 Peter 2:8; Jude 4; Romans 9:22). What? God even made that situation when a loved one sinned against me? But why? It is for His glory and my good. He grows me in various ways and molds me. In many ways I do not even resemble the person I once was. Proverbs 19:21 tells me, "Many are the plans of a man's heart but the counsel of the Lord, it will stand."

Proverbs 21:1 says, "The King's heart is like channels of water in the hand of the Lord; he turns it wherever he wishes." Time and again God’s word echoes that He is sovereign. I may go through the actions of trying to be in control of my life events but the Lord directs my steps. Boy am I thankful for that!

So each time I am tempted to sin I need to preach to myself that His ways are perfect even though I cannot see that this side of heaven. His timing is flawless and I need to leave the unknown areas of my life to an all knowing God!

"The Lord's bond-servant must not be quarrelsome but . . . able to teach . . . with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will." (2 Timothy 2:24-26. ESV.)

©2009 B.T.P.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails