Friday, January 09, 2009

Calling God First

(by: me)

My cell phone (or any phone for that matter) used to be a huge idol for me. Whenever I was frustrated, sad, overjoyed, concerned, perplexed, etc. I would pick up the phone and call a loved one for back up. “I’m so irritated right now…just talk to me…say anything!” I would speak into the phone at the poor soul on the other end.

As I became more aware of God and His involvement and position in everything (both big and small) I began calling my loved ones less and calling on God more. At first it was difficult. God, though all powerful and all knowing is also unseen. My loved ones on the other hand who are facing the unknown just as I am are at my finger tips. I suppose God almost seemed inaccessible…as ridiculous as that sounds!

Each time I got the urge to pick up the phone and dial a family member or friend I started praying. Stumbling through it at first and then slowly, over time becoming more comfortable. God knows my heart anyway so even though the words do not just roll off my tongue He is still familiar with what I mean and from where I am coming. Romans 8:26 says, “Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.” (ESV.) What a beautiful, loving, merciful God who gave us the Holy Spirit to act as our interpreter, our voice when we come before Him in prayer.

I would like to be more disciplined in prayer. Currently, whenever I receive a prayer request I stop and take it before God that moment. I do not want to forget to do it later. However I feel I should have a prayer journal or even better a photo prayer journal! Not only would this fabulous idea be great for me but also for the children in my home!!! What a magnificent, hands on way to get them engaged in praying for their loved ones. The younger children can help me with one and we can take time together each day to pray and the older kids can each make their own.

John Piper reminds me,
“Even our prayers are a gift from the one who ‘works in us that which is pleasing in his sight’ (Hebrews 13:21). Oh, how grateful we should be that He has chosen us to be employed in this high service! How eager we should be to spend much time in prayer!”


© 2009 B.T.P.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails