Thursday, January 08, 2009

God’s Glory in All Things

(by: me)

“The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps.” (Proverbs 16:9. ESV.)

Our plan for the week after Christmas was to drive (10 hours) to Washington to visit with loved ones. In and of itself this seemed a perfectly mundane task in which surly God would not be glorified…I mean how would He? But even in the small things God is the center of it all and establishes each step we take whether it is the dull, everyday, humdrum or an unusual, intense event. Isaiah 48:11 says, “For my own sake, for my own sake, I do it, for how should my name be profaned? My glory I will not give to another.” (cross references: Isaiah 43:25, Isaiah 42:8.)

The weather was rainy and overcast the days leading up to when we were going to make the drive but as God would have it, our day of travel was clear and comfortable. One king cab truck, six seatbelts, two adults, four children, and three dogs later we were confidently on our way. Three people and one pug sat in the front seat while three individuals, one boston terrier, and a boxer occupied the backseat. All was well while two listened to I-pods and two others watched five movies nonstop. Traffic was light and the route through the mountain passes was stress free. I had never seen the mountains so covered by a thick blanket of snow before. Even remnants of snow fall lay plowed along the freeway.

The nice weather did not last long. Snow and rain fell each day of our visit to Washington which made for a cold time but the six children ate up every moment of playing in the snow. We even woke one morning to find a new layer of soft white that crunched under our shoes. I took special care to keep a wood burning stove stocked with wood and ablaze with a sensational heat producing fire. In an environment composed of mostly unbelievers, God’s glory showed the brightest in the actions of those who love Him without question or hesitation. Prayerfully a reflection of Christ could be seen by all.

When it came time to leave, hearts were heavy but faithfully God had once again provided good weather for our journey home. Though these 10 hours seemed shorter than the first, it was laced with opportunity for the ugliness in my heart to come rushing forth under the squeeze of pressure. First, a semi truck veered into our lane forcing our driver to slam on the brakes in an effort to avoid a collision. While the two lane mountain pass was narrow, it was (thankfully) ice free and I felt peace as a hedge of protection had been placed between us and the truck. Not too long after that our boston terrier defecated in the vehicle and on my purse! I am embarrassed to say God was definitely not glorified in my attitude and behavior in response to this. After a quick stop for gas, food, and the restroom the boston terrier was sent to the front seat and the pug came to sit harmoniously in the back seat.

Although these trips are trying at times (nonetheless still enjoyable for the most part), I am prayerful they make wonderful memories for the children in our household and that one day they will look back and see how God was at work in all His beauty and sovereignty. His ways are not my ways…they are perfect and in stark contrast to mine! He knows better than I do and I completely trust the unknown to an all knowing God!

“For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.” (Romans 11:36. ESV.)

© 2009 B.T.P.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails