Monday, January 12, 2009

Half of an Inch Off


(by: me)

“In that day the Lord will take away the finery of the anklets, the headbands, and the crescents; 19 the pendants, the bracelets, and the scarves; 20 the headdresses, the armlets, the sashes, the perfume boxes, and the amulets; 21 the signet rings and nose rings; 22 the festal robes, the mantles, the cloaks, and the handbags; 23 the mirrors, the linen garments, the turbans, and the veils.” (Isaiah 3:18-23. ESV.)

It is interesting to me how half of an inch can determine so much at times. In basketball a half inch can win the game. If the player’s throw is slightly off it could cause devastation for his or her team. A half inch in football can make or break a field goal. The kicker is expected to have unwavering precision. (Especially if he is the kicker for the Gators!)

A few years ago I reconnected with an old friend of mine. She and I had been classmates in Kindergarten and first grade. When she asked how tall I am I proudly stated, “5’5 and a half.” To which she responded, “I love it. Short people always add the ‘and a half’.” But my half of an inch was used by God to determine the course of my life.

In 1996 (or 1997) I auditioned for the glamorous New York City Rockettes. For those of you who are familiar with the Rockettes and know my height and build, you know where this is heading. Before I even got to go into the classroom, learn choreography, and perform it for the judges…I had to be measured!!! “Sorry,” the lady said to me, “You’re half an inch too short.” “But can’t I still audition anyway,” I protested. “Knock yourself out but they’re not going to hire you. You’re too short.” To my bewilderment at the time, she was right.

After a short bout with self pity I moved on and auditioned for another job. The knowledge of this gig more or less fell into my lap and my friends and coworkers persuaded me to try out. This one was an overseas tour with a well known entertainment company. The odds were not in my favor as I had auditioned for other shows through them however I went and gave it my best shot anyway. I was not their first choice and the decision was not unanimous however, weeks after the lengthy (yet not agonizing) audition I was surprised and moderately overwhelmed to receive the call that I had gotten the job.

I was sent to California for two weeks to learn the show then flown to Asia for nine months to work. The first five months consisted of five shows a day, six days a week. The last four months were significantly easier at only three or four shows a day, five days a week. Four months after I arrived in Asia I met the man who was going to be my husband of nine years and running! Who knew? I most certainly did not know however God had it sorted out the entire way!

So, though at times I find myself discontent with my size, hair color, eye color, or overall looks in general, I am reminded that God knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I am fearfully and wonderfully made. (Psalm 139:13-14.) And, God uses all things as His servants (Psalm 119:91.)…even my physical appearance.

“…but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious.” (1 Pet 3:4. ESV.)

© 2009 B.T.P.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails