Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Keeping God the Main Thing

(by: me)

I received an email from a loved one regarding a popular sports icon in our world today. The story enclosed in the email was very touching yet there was only one sentence within the entire narrative (that stretched the length of a whole page) that mentioned the fact this athlete is a Christian. My heart broke that the article raved about the life this man has lead yet God was not in the picture. He had been pushed aside to a cameo in this widely coveted life of fame and fortune.

I know and understand not all have been called as the “elect”. (Matthew 24:22, Matthew 24:24, Matthew 24:31, Mark 13:20, Mark 13:22, Mark 13:27, Luke 18:7, Romans 8:33, Romans 11:7, 2 Timothy 2:10, Titus 1:1). I am thankful these people have good examples to follow. But for those who are believers in God and His Son, Jesus is our hero. He is who we should aspire to imitate and who we should train our children to cherish, not worldly figures confined to the flesh. We can only hear words and see actions. We cannot observe the heart and therefore cannot be sure if we are following a worldly man that he is in fact the correct one to pursue. Take Jesus’ disciples for example. All twelve of them looked the part however how many would have been led astray if they had chosen to follow Judas Iscariot instead of Christ Jesus? In my opinion it is safer to follow the God-man instead of a human.

The hardest thing my King has ever commanded me to do has been to leave the dead to bury their dead (Matthew 8:22, Luke 9:60). I walk around the battle field with my armor on and my sword unsheathed. (Ephesians 6:10-20.) I poke and prod at the dead and demand that they get up! Who am I to even suggest I am worthy of such a command? During some seasons I even drag the lifeless along with me. I cry out in great pain and anguish…sometimes even daring to question my King. Eventually the great weight of the lifeless becomes too overwhelming and I fall to the ground tired and nearly hopeless. Other times I sit…no…lay face down at the foot of the throne. Who am I to think I deserve to sit upright? My rest comes in communing with my King. And yet I still find myself pleading for His mercy and begging Him to call loved ones and strangers alike to “come forth”. I must remind myself that His ways and His timing are perfect! And He knows their hearts! I do not.

This life is but a vapor (James 4:14) and thankfully so. Great temptation swirls around trying to entice the flesh. It is a challenge to keep God the main thing in my life and the lives of the children in my home.

“For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.” (Eph 6:12. NKJV.)

“But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. 15 Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.” (James 1:14-15. ESV.)

© B.T.P.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails