Saturday, January 10, 2009

Rolling the Dice

(by: me)

“The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the LORD.” (Proverbs 16:33. ESV.)

I love this piece of scripture. It is a great reminder to me that even the roll of the dice (casting of lots) is all in God’s hands. The scary, intimidating, worrisome unknown of my life gently rests in the palm of an all knowing, loving, merciful, all powerful God!!! Phew, and I thought I had something about which to be anxious.

This year I find myself in the running for sweepstakes. No one wins those silly things, right? It never seems like it…at least I have not seen a single winning from one. I was, however, recently reminded of a couple who did win and won BIG!!! They were up for an extraordinary prize that totaled millions of dollars. But what were the odds? Maybe 1 in 500,000,000?

On the day of Superbowl Sunday, this husband and wife watched the game as usual and did their ordinary routine. They got up, got dressed, ate breakfast, you get the idea. A call came in during the game. The voice on the other end of line wanted to know if someone was going to be home during halftime to participate in a phone survey. “Sure,” they replied. When halftime rolled around so did a knock at the front door. To their surprise they had won a big name sweepstakes and a camera crew was there with cameras rolling to get their reaction. They were presented with a giant check, champagne, balloons, flowers, the works. Who would have guessed it but God had this money delegated to them? When asked what they did to win they said, “We just followed the instructions each time they sent us something.” You know the type, “Place a sticker here and a stamp there then send this back to us.”

It is an example like this that makes me wonder how anyone could question God’s sovereignty. A couple rolled the dice and won. They had no control over the outcome and therefore could not take credit for it yet they were able to reap the benefits. God’s ways are perfect. His timing is flawless. Best of all, everything is for His glory and our good. He gets the recognition and we get the joy! I am not going to sniff about that! Instead I say, “Bring it on! Thanks!!!” Thank you sovereign Father!

“…work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.” (Philippians 2:12-13. ESV.)

© 2009 B.T.P.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails