Sunday, January 25, 2009

So in Love


(by: me)
“For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.” (Hebrews 4:12. ESV.)

One afternoon the oldest child in my home asked why Christians feel they need to make a public display of their dedication to God [by getting baptized]. I was thankful when God put the perfect illustration into my mind.

I said, “It’s kind of like having a wedding. You do it to show everyone the commitment and love you have for your spouse.”

To which she replied, “Oh like when I hold my boyfriend’s hand. I don’t have to but I do it because I love him.”

“Yes,” I said, “Christians are so in love with God and His Son they get baptized.”

Being in love was something she could understand. I think that is something most of us can comprehend. And that is how I now describe to others what it means to me to be a Christian. It means being so in love with and having complete belief in God and His Son.
For by grace you have been saved through faith. (Ephesians 2:8. Emphasis added.)

I feel it is a matter of the heart.
“For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.” (Matthew 12:34.)

“For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” (Matthew 6:21.)

Being in love with God and being faithful to Him keeps me dependent on Him, serving Him, and in a constant awareness of whether or not my behavior and attitude glorify Him. My life revolves around Him similarly to how my household and marriage revolve around my husband. I love therefore I serve. I do not serve in the hopes of being loved. I would never expect God to say, “Oh, Brook. You did good works today so currently I love you.”
But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, 5 even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ— by grace you have been saved—… For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. (Ephesians 2:4-5 & 8-9.)


© 2009 B.T.P.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails