Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Battling Discontentment

(by: me)

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. (Romans 12:2. ESV.)

Lions, and tigers, and bears…oh my!!! This is my mentality this morning except I’m replacing animals with my current obstacles. A new job, being sinned against, another broken water pipe, oh my!!! But why is my first reaction turmoil?!
Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God. (Psalm 42:5-6. ESV.)

Where is my hope in God? For hasn’t my King shown me time and again that He will take care of me? Have I not learned that He is faithful and has it all covered?
Therefore do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32 For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
34 "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. (Matthew 6:31-34. ESV.)

Why can’t my initial response be mild interest? Oh hey, look, there is dripping from behind the wall. Looks like another broken water pipe. I wonder where the Lord is going with this one? And, I need to get a new job, okay…I’m certain God will send a fabulous one my way. I’m not trying to be a smarty pants here. I mean honestly, why can’t my initial response be like that of Job’s…worship instead of my sin of anxiety? Why doesn’t my heart fill with joy at the sight of adversity? I know it is for my good and more importantly His glory!!! I know it is!!! There is absolutely no doubt in my mind about it! So where’s my joy? Why am I such an Eeyore struggling with my sin of self pity and discontentment instead of thankfulness that God has elected me? I should be exclaiming shouts of praise with tear filled eyes and joy which overflows!
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. (Ephesians 6:10-12. ESV.)


(c) 2009 B.T.P.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails