Monday, February 23, 2009

Leading a Life Worthy of the Calling

(by: me)

I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all lowliness and meekness, with patience, forbearing one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of us all . . . for the building up of the body of Christ until we all attain to the unity of the faith and the knowledge of the Son of God. (Ephesians 4:1-6, 13).


This past Sunday the pastor at the church where I am a member gave a great message in which I saw myself. He was talking about Christ Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane the night Jesus was arrested. Christ, the Good Shepherd was protecting His sheep (i.e. His disciples) yet Peter decided to draw his sword and he cut off the ear of the high priest’s servant. And this is the part that depicted me! I, like Simon Peter, get so protective when it comes to Christ Jesus and God! I feel I have to defend them when others speak cruelly or disrespectfully of them. I come out from behind the Lord’s protection and wave my sword around when in fact Jesus and God already have the situation under control!

Philippians 1:27: Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel,

1 Thess. 2:12: we exhorted each one of you and encouraged you and charged you to walk in a manner worthy of God, who calls you into his own kingdom and glory.

Colossians 1:10: so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.

Colossians 2:6: Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him,

Philippians 2:3: Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Colossians 3:13: bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.

Ephesians 1:18: having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints,

Ephesians 4:13: until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ

Galatians 3:27: For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

1 Corinthians 12:5: and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord;


I should not get all bent out of shape when God and/or His Son is under attack. For one, God only has to say, “I am” and people fall over (1 John 18:6). Not to mention He has an entire army of angels who can do a far better job then myself at battling evil and the wicked. I am only called to live in a manner that glorifies God!!! Why do I try to make things so much harder than they are? God does not ask me to be a warrior but rather a teacher (to His little lambs), a helper to my husband, a faithful servant who is knowledgeable of His word and who has a quiet, gentle spirit…not the strength of an army! Proverbs 31 and Ephesians 6:10-20 give me great encouragement and are wonderful pieces of scripture I preach to myself.

A dear friend of mine and sister in Christ recently posted the following scripture on her blog and I have to echo these beautiful, encouraging words:

"I am crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me." (Galatians 2:20)

Acts 20:24, "But I do not consider my life of any account as dear to myself, so that I may finish my course and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify solemnly of the gospel of the grace of God."


© 2009 B.T.P.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails