Thursday, February 12, 2009

Seeing Myself Through the Eyes of a Child

(by: me)

Every once in a while I get to see what I look like to the children in my home. Sometimes it is very humbling and other times it fills me with such joy I cannot even begin to describe it. Yesterday, was quite a joyful moment.

The oldest child in my household was instructed by one of her teachers to make a project at which she would like her family members to look for generations to come. Her teacher asked each student, “What would you like your great, great, great grandchildren to know about your family?” For those of you who do not know this child she is a very determined young adult who does not sugar coat things and has an excellent imagination. She has also been blessed with a stunning ability to write. I can sit and read her stories for hours and I am not just saying that because she is one of the children in my home! Her work is captivating. God has also given her a beautiful heart that loves deeply and in turn can hurt deeply. She has a precious, tenderness that I pray God will grow over time.

While working on her assignment she took great care to feature each member of her immediate family and special moments in her life. She highlighted her trip over seas, her favorite holiday, and special friends. For each person in her family she placed a picture of the individual along with a brief write up of them on the page. In addition to this, she chose one word to describe that family member overall. For one she chose the word “confidence”, for her father she picked the word “humor”, for another she decided on “strength”, and for me she selected the word “faith”!

In her description of me she used words like “kind hearted” and said, “She loves children more than anything, except maybe God…” It may not seem like much but to me it was a warm hug from the Lord saying, “They can see Me. Just keep on pressing on.” It has given me joy and encourages me to keep sewing the seeds and more importantly to keep on behaving in a way that brings God glory because they are watching and thankfully they can see Him!!!

For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. (Romans 1:20. ESV.)


© 2009 B.T.P.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails