Thursday, March 26, 2009

Battling Sin: Doubt

(by: me)

If I had a nickel for every single time I doubted my King, sadly I would be a very rich gal!!! When I do not take every thought captive, doubt sneaks in like a quietly slithering serpent. Before I know it, it has spread into all of my thoughts and leaves me feeling icky. Charles Spurgeon says,

“Doubts are among the worst enemies of your souls. Do not entertain them. Do not treat them as though they were poor forlorn travelers to be hospitably entertained, but as rogues and vagabonds to be chased from thy door. Fight them, slay them, and pray God to help thee to kill them, and bury them, and not even to leave a bone or a piece of a bone of a doubt above ground. Doubting and unbelief are to be abhorred, and to be confessed with tears as sins before God. We need pardon for doubting as much as for blasphemy. We ought no more to excuse doubting than lying, for doubting slanders God and makes him a liar."


Isaiah 30:15: In quietness and in trust shall be your strength.

Hosea 14:1: Return, O Israel, to the LORD your God, for you have stumbled because of your iniquity.

Exodus 14:14: The LORD will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.


Man, why is it so hard for me to just be silent and let the Lord fight for me? I picture, once again, the scene at the garden of Gethsemane. Peter unsheathes a sword and cuts off a guy’s ear! As I have mentioned before, yep, that’s me!!! I, once more (as if I haven’t learned this lesson a thousand times over), jump out from behind the protection of my Lord and start swinging my sword around. And being I am such a small framed person this sword is most likely bigger and heavier than I. So not only do I put myself at risk from coming out from behind the protection of my Lord, I am now putting others at risk because I am carelessly waving around a deadly weapon!!!

My words can be deadly weapons too! When I do not put a guard over my mouth I say things that may cause another to stumble right along with me because of MY sin. And then that person’s soul could very well be at risk! If I, as a Christ follower, am not acting in a way that glorifies God then why in the world would anyone, who is not a follower of Christ, desire to be one? When they look at me do they say to themselves, “If that is a Christian then I want no part of it.” Why am I so quick to give into my flesh?

Romans 12:2: Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

James 4:4: You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

Romans 13:14: But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires.


Just yesterday God was preparing my heart most of the day for something big that lay in store. Morning, afternoon, and early evening I felt out of focus as though God was encouraging my heart to dive deep into his word and get ready for what was coming. I was going to be called upon by one of the children in my home to give her some advice that would not only affect today but the rest of her life. I needed to be ready to advise her in a way that would glorify God and please Him. And, I am hopeful that is exactly what I did. I counseled her in what God asks of His children. I encouraged her to behave as God’s girl would. And now, I can only pray that God will pierce her heart and call her to Himself.

My trust has to be in my Heavenly Father, my King. All things are His servants (Psalm 119:91) and he does everything for our good (Romans 8:28) and His glory.

2 Peter 1:3: His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16For all that is in the world— the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world. 17And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever. (1 John 2:15-17. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails