Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Firm in the faith

(by Andrée Seu from World Magazine)

I am tutoring the wife in a family of immigrants who recently arrived from Asia. Today she had me proofread one of her ninth-grade son’s social studies assignments, in which I noticed he said some very appreciative things about a new religion he’s been introduced to at the local high school: Taoism. I’m sure that the mom’s language skills are good enough to get the gist of her son’s paper, but I can see that she is not fazed. She just wants red marks on the spelling and syntax.

I wouldn’t normally be alarmed myself except that I’m having déjà vu: Christian family moves to America, the kiddos go off to school, and three things happen:

Continue reading this post.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails