Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Looking to Job

(by: me)

The book of Job tells me a lot about God, His sovereignty, and His character. I look at how in order for satan to mess with Job he first had to go and get permission from God (Job1:6-12). God knew Job’s heart and that Job would not be tempted no matter what tribulation satan caused in his life. God had made him that way. I especially love the part that says,
“Then Satan answered the LORD and said, ‘Does Job fear God for no reason? 10Have you not put a hedge around him and his house and all that he has, on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land.’”
This gives me comfort and reassurance that God is completely sovereign and he does protect His people.

Psalm 3:3: But you, O LORD, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head.

Psalm 34:7: The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and delivers them.


I can also see God’s character in Job himself and his response to satan’s pummeling. Job #1 did not curse God infact he worshipped Him (Job 1:20) and #2 he never gave up feeling the fight was for not (Job 1:22). Therefore it is my opinion God must be awesome and worth every, single painful moment of trials, troubles, harms, and refinement. John Piper states,
“There is a Christian version of this paralysis. The decision has been made to trust Christ. The shoot of hope and joy has sprung up. The long battle against sin has begun. But the defeats are many, and the plant begins to wither. One sees only clouds and gathering darkness. The problem is not perplexing doctrine or evolutionary assaults or threats of persecution. The problem is falling down too many times. Gradually the fatal feeling creeps in: the fight is futile; it isn't worth it.” (© John Piper. Desiring God Ministries.)
Job did not fall into this category! He was a bright, shining example of how I should behave in the face of hard times, tragedy, long waits, suffering, persecution, etc.

Romans 8:28: And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.


I look to Job when the road looks impossible and the conditions seem unyielding. I remind myself that God is my Father and takes care of me as a Father would His daughter. I don’t always get what I want…of course not! Neither do my children!!! Sometimes my Father says, “No,” and closes the door but there are other times when He gives me such beautiful loving unexpected blessings that melt my heart. Certainly not because I am an obedient child! I whine and complain and argue with my Father more times than not it seems. And when I am naughty I am reprimanded and disciplined. When He wants me to grow in a specific area He grows me. He places obstacles in my path that trip me up but teach me how to maneuver around them…bringing Him glory all the while. And that’s the most important part!!! I want my Father to be proud of me. My children are a reflection of me and my parenting just as I am of my Heavenly Father. When I behave badly (yes, it happens, and more than I would like to admit), those around me might think to themselves, “Ick, if that is what a Christian looks like then I want no part of it!” Because why would they when I am indulging in my sin and being ugly. God knows I am utterly wretched sometimes because that is the way He made me. He also knows I will repent and ask those I have hurt for forgiveness because that is the heart He has given me.

All this to say, I love my Father very much and I want to be the best daughter I can! And when I am struggling with my own sin of doubt, frustration, fear, and anxiety I look to Job who was God’s steadfast servant…whom God described as, “a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil.” (Job 1:8.) God went on to say, “He still holds fast his integrity, although you incited me against him to destroy him without reason.” (Job 2:3. ESV.)

“I hold fast my righteousness and will not let it go; my heart does not reproach me for any of my days.” (Job 27:6. ESV.)


© 2009 B.T.P.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails