Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Epitome of a Quiet Spirit

(by: me)

“Do not let your adornment be merely outward – arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel – rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God.” (1 Peter 3:3-4. NKJV.)


When I was growing up there was a beautiful, Japanese woman who lived across the street from us. My family and I were invited over to her home often and still keep in contact with her today. She was and continues to be very hospitable. I remember her home was always spotless clean with no sign of laundry, spider webs, or dust bunnies (like the ones found in the home I keep). Even her garage was immaculate. And her house was at all times filled with the enticing aroma of delicious food! Plates and plates full of rice, egg rolls, chicken wings, and noodles with water chestnuts sat upon the kitchen table just waiting to be devoured! My favorite were then (and still today) the Japanese rice crackers she shared with me…some with seaweed, several without…a few with sesame seeds, others lacking…but all mouth watering delectable!!!

This woman, who in my eyes is the very essence of loveliness, has two children. I knew them fairly well when they were in elementary school through high school and I recall thinking to myself (when I was little), “I hope her children are well behaved and good to her,” because I could not imagine this woman, this tender mother ever raising her voice or struggling with her own sin of frustration or anger. I knew her to be always gentle, soft spoken, tender hearted and never without self control.

God makes His expectations of biblical men and women very clear in His word. 1 Timothy 2:8-15 says,
“I desire therefore that the men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting; in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, but which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works. Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. Nevertheless she will be saved in childbearing if they continue in faith, love, and holiness, with self control.” (NKJV.)


Faith, love, and holiness, with self control…what beautiful attributes! When I think about these along with a quiet, gentle spirit, I think about the exquisite woman I have mentioned above and how her beauty should be a worldly example of biblical charisma for me to follow. I am thankful God placed her in my life for many reasons. One of which is that I have a living, breathing visual example of what my King desires me to look like.

“But as for you, speak the things which are proper for sound doctrine: that the older men be sober, reverent, temperate, sound in faith, in love, in patience; the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things – that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed.

“For the grace of god that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works. (Titus 2:1-5 & 11-14. NKJV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails