Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Matt Chandler - Jesus Wants the Rose


Matt Chandler tells a story about the gospel being for broken sinners:
You can also read the notes taken during this portion of Matt Chandler's message:

It didn’t take long before my passion for the gospel and to see lost men and women saved started to collide with the church. And so it wasn’t very long before I decided that if I was going to do this, I wasn’t going to do it as a churchman.

This break in me happened during my freshman year of college when I sat next to a 26-year-old single mother trying to get her degree. We began a dialogue about the grace and mercy of Christ in the cross....

A friend of mine was in a band playing in the area and we invited her to hear him. She agreed. She thought it would be a concert. I knew better....

The minister got up and said we would talk about sex. He took a red rose, smelled it, and threw it out in the crowd and told them to smell the rose. He then began one of the worst, most horrific handlings of what sex is and isn’t that I ever sat through.

With Kim beside me, I’m thinking, “What are you doing?” As he wrapped up, he asked, “Where’s my rose?” Some kid brought the rose back and it was broken.

His final point—his great crescendo—was to hold up the rose and ask, “Who wants this rose?”

Anger welled up within me and I wanted to say, “Jesus wants the rose!” That's the whole point of the gospel: While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.



© Desiring God

Permissions: You are permitted and encouraged to reproduce and distribute this material in any format provided that you do not alter the wording in any way and do not charge a fee beyond the cost of reproduction. For web posting, a link to this document on our website is preferred. Any exceptions to the above must be approved by Desiring God.

Please include the following statement on any distributed copy: By John Piper. © Desiring God. Website: desiringGod.org
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails