Friday, April 17, 2009

A Multitude of Sins

(by: me)

“Whoever brings back a sinner from his wandering will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins” (James 5:20).


This is the scripture I have been preaching to myself for the past few days. I am convinced the children in my home take turns being God’s servants in growing and stretching me! The challenges never seem to end but boy do I find myself at the foot of the cross and my King’s throne often…and for that I am so thankful!

As children grow they seemingly become keenly aware of how they are wired and use it to their advantage. They are hard hearted, slaves to their sin and to the flesh until God gives to them a new heart not of stone but of flesh (Ezekiel 36:26). And until the Holy Spirit begins convicting them, I feel it is my job to act in a Holy Spirit type capacity to train them in the way they should go (Proverbs 22:6)…which sounds MUCH easier than it truly is…mainly because I cannot see their heart.

It is always a blessing (and often times a great conviction) to hear and watch the children when they think I am not around. The lip service stops and what lies in their heart becomes a bit clearer to me. The ugly sin that leaks out is a wake up call to me! Hello!!! Their heart is not in it yet!!! Press on!!!

The hardest sin for me to address thus far is the sneaky, quietly deceitful, and careful not to draw attention to itself sin. Were it not for a few acts of God clueing me in, I would never know about some of the wretched sins that are being committed by the children in my home! And He does bring it to my attention and I am called to respond…even when it disturbs the peace. Carolyn Mahaney reminds me,
“Neither turning a blind eye nor remaining ignorant are acceptable options. We cannot afford to assume ‘this is just a phase’ or ‘this is normal for his age.’"


God's word says,
"Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain." (1 Corinthians 15:58)


What a beautiful, refreshing, encouraging promise!
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails