Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Preachin' Jesus

(by: me)

"You preach Jesus Christ, and that will suit them, I am sure, if they are learned people it will suit them; if they are ignorant it will suit them? God blessing it."
~ Charles Spurgeon

When I am struggling with my sin (which seem likes all the time!) I preach to myself. When I am training up the children in my home, I teach about Jesus. Despite the fact they are the younger children in my residence or the older kids in the house, I instruct them to follow Jesus. Regardless if they are saved or unsaved, I urge them toward Jesus. Whether they realize it or not, I am preachin’ Jesus!

This year Holy Week came with a couple of unexpected blessings…the blessings of questions. But not inquiries from the younger children who learn about Christ when they are sitting in the house, and when they walk by the way, and when they lie down, and when they rise (Deuteronomy 6:7). Rather from my husband and oldest child in the home…both of whom are not followers of Christ. Let me tell you when God opened the door, I went barreling through it!

Charles Spurgeon said,
“A simple gospel text is the word which every man needs who is in fear of divine wrath, and he may be sitting next to you at this moment, or he is in the same house of business with you, and needs that you should tell him about Christ. Do that, and bless his soul. May you all understand the Scriptures in this way, and may God make you a great blessing to those around you.”


The night before Resurrection Sunday my husband asked me why Easter is so important to me. I answered, “Because of Jesus.” A day or two before this, the oldest child in our home began a line of questioning regarding faith that leads to grace (Ephesians 2:8). You see she can spot a Pharisee a mile away and dislikes them just as Jesus did…with great passion! Yet she does not understand she is picking out the legalistic, whitewashed tomb hypocrites. She sees them as professing Christians and has decided if they are what a Christian looks like then she wants no part of following Christ. So it is left to me to point out the differences between true followers and deceiving Pharisees. Which, I explained to her has everything to do with the heart (of flesh)…to be so in love with God our Father and His precious Son that good works (among other things) are done out of love and not in an effort to self atone.

Spurgeon reminds me,
“[T]o hope ever to bring sinners to holiness and heaven by any teaching but that which begins and ends in Jesus Christ is a sheer delusion. None other name is given among men whereby they can be saved. If you have to deal with highly learned and educated people, nothing is so good for them as preaching Jesus Christ; and if the people be ignorant and degraded, nothing is better for them than the preaching of Jesus.

“When the great Biblical critic, Bengel, was dying, he sent for a young theological student, to whom he said, ‘I am low in spirit; say something good to cheer me.’ ‘My dear Sir,’ said the student, ‘I am so insignificant a person, what can I say to a great man like yourself?’ ‘But if you are a student of theology,’ said Bengel, ‘you ought to have a good word to say to a dying man; pray say it without fear.’ ‘Well, Sir,’ said he, ‘What can I say to you, but that the blood of Jesus Christ cleanseth from all sin?’ Bengel said, ‘Give me your hand, young man; that is the very word I wanted.’"


Somewhere in the midst of all the questioning I made one point clear. That the only thing this precious child has to do is have faith and repent…even if it is take place on her death bed (whenever that may be).

But (preaching to myself now) I know that God’s ways and His timing are perfect. If she does not feel Him calling until right before she leaves this vapor of a life (James 4:14) then so be it. I have faith it is all for the good of those who love Him (Romans 8:28) and for His glory. I pray each night for her salvation and that of my loved ones who have yet to deny themselves, take up their crosses daily, and follow Him (Luke 9:23). I will continue preaching Jesus!

The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost. (1 Tim 1:15. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails