Friday, May 15, 2009

Sprinting

(by: me)

Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. (1 Tim 6:12. ESV.)


Moving forward with talking about fighting the good fight, finishing the race, and keeping the faith (2 Timothy 4:7) it is such an encouragement to me to watch others around me running their marathons. I feel God has given each of us something a little different depending on what we need for our good, His glory, and based on how we are wired and operate. I am not the same as my friend, parent, or brother so my trials are going to be different than theirs. They are specifically designed just for me to get the outcome God knows I need…for my soul…for eternity. Our King gives us what we can handle…nothing more and nothing less. 1 Corinthians 10:13 reminds me, “No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.” Not to mention He tells us that His grace is sufficient (2 Corinthians 12:9) no matter what!

So what exactly is my problem? The bible is abundant with scripture I can be preaching to myself instead of whining and complaining about my tribulation.

1 Peter 1:6: In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials,

1 Corinthians 1:9: God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

1 Thessalonians 2:12: …we exhorted each one of you and encouraged you and charged you to walk in a manner worthy of God, who calls you into his own kingdom and glory.

2 Timothy 2:10: Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

Hebrews 13:20-21: Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, 21 equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.

Luke 22:32: but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers."

Romans 16:24-27: Now to him who is able to strengthen you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery that was kept secret for long ages 26but has now been disclosed and through the prophetic writings has been made known to all nations, according to the command of the eternal God, to bring about the obedience of faith— 27to the only wise God be glory forevermore through Jesus Christ! Amen.


I understand the heart of those in long suffering. My tribulation has been going on for a very lengthy time…many years. I can relate to the sin of frustration, the sting of heart ache, and the sin of anxiety, impatience, and perhaps even a feeling of desperation. But “the Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit” (Psalm 34:18). God’s word also says, “It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man” (Psalm 118:8). Which sounds easy, but I like to be able to touch things, get a hug, hear a voice, hold a hand, and/or look into someone's eyes. With God I can't do that so consulting Him seems harder. But He is the Great Physician, Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, and Prince of Peace (Isaiah 9:6). (Please do not misunderstand...I am not saying we are called to stand around and do nothing. We are called to be godly and also to do our part. I feel God provides the means for us...the doctors and their wisdom, etc.)

Your faithfulness endures to all generations; you have established the earth, and it stands fast. 91By your appointment they stand this day, for all things are your servants. 92If your law had not been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction. (Psalm 119:90-92. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails