Monday, June 22, 2009

The Excellent Wife: Setting the Example at Home

(by: me)

“She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life….Her lamp does not go out at night….She opens her hand to the poor and reaches out her hands to the needy….Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come. She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children rise up and call her blessed;” (Proverbs 31:12, 18, 20, 25-28. ESV.)


Being half of the members of my household are not followers of Christ, I know they watch me very intently. They want to know how I am going to respond to sin issues. Am I going to sin myself or am I going to speak and behave in a manner that brings God glory? (Not at all to say I am without sin!) Am I going to do them good or am I going to wallow in my own wretchedness? If I am taken off guard it makes having self control and a godly reaction all the more difficult. I have to keep on the full armor of God and be ready for just about anything. Seriously, ANYTHING at any moment. (I have noticed sin goes out of its way to cause trouble for others.) And, I have to maintain focus on God who gives me grace and Christ who strengthens me.

My day to day in this season is Deuteronomy 6:6-9 which says,
“And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. 8 You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. 9 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.”


Boy do I drive some people crazy living out this scripture. Perhaps they feel as though they are fastened to Christ’s disciple Paul…(in which case I would be deeply honored).

Deuteronomy 11:18: "You shall therefore lay up these words of mine in your heart and in your soul, and you shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes.

Deuteronomy 32:46: he said to them, "Take to heart all the words by which I am warning you today, that you may command them to your children, that they may be careful to do all the words of this law.

Psalm 37:31: The law of his God is in his heart; his steps do not slip.

Isaiah 51:7: "Listen to me, you who know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law; fear not the reproach of man, nor be dismayed at their revilings.

Jeremiah 31:33: But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the LORD: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Deuteronomy 4:9: "Only take care, and keep your soul diligently, lest you forget the things that your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. Make them known to your children and your children’s children—

Proverbs 3:3: Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you; bind them around your neck; write them on the tablet of your heart.

Proverbs 6:21: Bind them on your heart always; tie them around your neck.

Proverbs 7:3: bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart.

Exodus 13:9: And it shall be to you as a sign on your hand and as a memorial between your eyes, that the law of the LORD may be in your mouth. For with a strong hand the LORD has brought you out of Egypt.


My family looks to me to answer in a way that is out of the ordinary. They seem almost as though they have come to depend on it, crave it, and appear disappointed beyond measure when I stubble. Hence, (for this and other reasons) I feel my responsibility is to set the example in the home and to continue to point them to Christ…especially the children. I must do as God calls me to do as a godly wife:

Genesis 2:24: For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.

Proverbs 12:4: An excellent wife is the crown of her husband, but she who brings shame is like rottenness in his bones.

Proverbs 18:22: He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord.

Proverbs 19:14: House and wealth are inherited from fathers, but a prudent wife is from the Lord.

Malachi 2:15a: Did he not make them one, with a portion of the Spirit in their union?

Ephesians 5:33: However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.

1 Peter 3:4-6: but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious. 5For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands, 6as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord. And you are her children, if you do good and do not fear anything that is frightening.

Eph 5:22-24: Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. 24Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands.


Jesus in all His glory submitted to His Father just as a wife is called to yield to her husband. It is my opinion this in no way makes a woman any less of a person though sin might try to convince a wife otherwise.

1 Timothy 3:11: Their wives likewise must be dignified, not slanderers, but sober-minded, faithful in all things.

Titus 2:10: not pilfering, but showing all good faith, so that in everything they may adorn the doctrine of God our Savior.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails