Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Excellent Wife: Let Not the Hand of the Wicked Remove Me

(by: me)

“Let not the foot of pride come against me, and let not the hand of the wicked remove me.” (Psalm 36:11.)

Recently I made a few posts I would like to tie together in this one. I want to begin with the news story of the child who called the police as her father stabbed her mother to death in the front yard of their residence. This type of situation/ event is very dear to my heart. When I was especially young I had a lovely friend who was precious to me. I met her in 1988 (I think it was) when her family moved to Florida from New York. She had two sisters and one brother, all of whom were older than she, and I recall her father was rarely around. Infact, in all the years I knew her I only met him once. (I was told he was still in New York and assumed he would be joining them later, after he finished wrapping up things with their old house, etc.)

Now, just a brief side bar while I am thinking about it…I find it AMAZING how God works on the hearts of people. One day a heart that seems hardened toward Him is changed and becomes a new heart of flesh for Him. And vice versa…a heart that is trained up to know Him and professes love toward Him, one day becomes rebellious and seemingly hardened.

Okay, back to what I was saying. This lovely girl lost her mother in 1994 when her father shot her while in the master bedroom of their home. (This is one of the main reasons I do not guns!) The mother was a beautiful woman…soft spoken and gentle with a quiet spirit. She took excellent care of her children and their home. Her children adored her, respected her, and were obedient.

However, I cannot help but wonder what the day to day resembled for these women. What was it like for them to have their husband, the head of household, the one who was supposed to protect them be the one who hurt them the most? Some probably shake their head and figure the women should have left such a man but could they really? With the laws being what they are regarding custody etc. and a lack of understanding for what I understand to be one third of the population…what choice did these women have? Run away and risk the consequences, divorce the man and suffer the penalty not to mention the chance of having a court rule the children would still have to have visitation with their father, or stay and pay the price.

As I mentioned in a previous post, David fled when he became aware Saul was plotting to kill him and meant him harm. He knew he was in danger. But did these women know? And what about women who do manage to get away? Are they truly safe? There is one more woman whose story I heard just recently. She was no longer with her boyfriend/ husband however one day while she was out running errands he confronted her and shot her there in public. She did not survive his attack. I want to tread VERY carefully regarding this topic. I am not a counselor and offer no answers nor advice. What I can offer is this: the body of Christ was given to us for encouragement and iron sharpening iron. Also, hope in Christ Jesus and His Father!

Romans 12:5: so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another.

1 Corinthians 12:27: Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it.

1 Corinthians 10:17: Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread.

1 Corinthians 12:20: As it is, there are many parts, yet one body.
John 17:11: And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one.
Ephesians 4:25: Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another.
Proverbs 27:17: Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.

Ephesians 4:13: until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ,

Hebrews 3:6: but Christ is faithful over God’s house as a son. And we are his house if indeed we hold fast our confidence and our boasting in our hope.

1 Corinthians 3:16: Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you?

Hebrews 3:14: For we have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original confidence firm to the end.

1 Peter 3:15: but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,

Romans 8:10: But if Christ is in you, although the body is dead because of sin, the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

Colossians 3:15: And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful.

1 Thessalonians 5:23: Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails