Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Excellent Wife: Staying Disciplined in Prayer


(by: me)

It was not until recently I started bringing my requests straight to the foot of the throne. For some reason Psalm 118:8 just didn’t sink in…I supposed I couldn’t wrap my head around it. “It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man.” Sounds simple enough, right? Not for me. I have been so quick to find solace in man rather than to rely on my sovereign King.

I have not been taking my thoughts captive but instead indulging in the flesh and replaying details in my mind. “I should have done this.” “I wish I had said that.” But no, it was and is exactly as God wants it to be in my life…for my good and His glory this side of heaven. I am held to His standard though people around me might not be held to the same principles. There’s nothing I can say or do to someone to change a hardened heart. That is for God alone. I am not their savior. I could not even rescue myself. Christ Jesus is the only one who can save. I can only do my part (i.e. live as I’ve been called…and with a quiet, gentle spirit) and to pray!

Daily I pray for my family. For example, if my children are faced with sin or if someone sins against them, I pray that the seeds of sin will not take root in their hearts. Further, I pray for their salvation and that of those I love…especially the loved ones who sin against me. I pray for deliverance from those who sin against me. I pray the prayer of Jabez and the Lord’s prayer.

Jabez called upon the God of Israel, saying, "Oh that you would bless me and enlarge my border, and that your hand might be with me, and that you would keep me from harm so that it might not bring me pain!" And God granted what he asked. (1 Chronicles 4:10. ESV.)

Luke 11:2-4: And he said to them, "When you pray, say:
"Father, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come. 3 Give us each day our daily bread, 4and forgive us our sins, for we ourselves forgive everyone who is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation."

Matthew 6:1: "Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.

Isaiah 29:23: For when he sees his children, the work of my hands, in his midst, they will sanctify my name; they will sanctify the Holy One of Jacob and will stand in awe of the God of Israel.

Luke 1:49: for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name.

1 Peter 3:15: but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,

John 17:6: "I have manifested your name to the people whom you gave me out of the world. Yours they were, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word.

Matthew 3:2: "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."

Matthew 12:50: For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."

Hebrews 13:21: equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.

Psalm 103:20: Bless the LORD, O you his angels, you mighty ones who do his word, obeying the voice of his word!

Psalm 103:21: Bless the LORD, all his hosts, his ministers, who do his will!

Daniel 4:35: all the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, and he does according to his will among the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth; and none can stay his hand or say to him, "What have you done?"

Proverbs 30:8: Remove far from me falsehood and lying; give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me,

Matthew 6:34: "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

Matthew 26:41: Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."

1 Corinthians 10:13: No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

John 17:15: I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one.

2 Thessalonians 3:3: But the Lord is faithful. He will establish you and guard you against the evil one.

2 Timothy 4:18: The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed and bring me safely into his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory forever and ever. Amen.

Matthew 13:19: When anyone hears the word of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what has been sown in his heart. This is what was sown along the path.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails