Thursday, July 02, 2009

May the Lord Judge Between Me and You

(by: me)

Do not say, "I will repay evil"; wait for the LORD, and he will deliver you. (Proverbs 20:22. ESV.)


Whenever I feel I have been sinned against I look to David and 1 Samuel. David was very loyal to Saul however Saul became jealous of David.

And Saul was very angry, and this saying displeased him. He said, "They have ascribed to David ten thousands, and to me they have ascribed thousands, and what more can he have but the kingdom?" 9And Saul eyed David from that day on. (1 Samuel 18:8 & 9. ESV.)


Saul then desired to harm David.

And Saul hurled the spear, for he thought, "I will pin David to the wall." But David evaded him twice.

Saul was afraid of David because the Lord was with him but had departed from Saul. 13So Saul removed him from his presence and made him a commander of a thousand. And he went out and came in before the people. 14And David had success in all his undertakings, for the Lord was with him. 15And when Saul saw that he had great success, he stood in fearful awe of him. 16 But all Israel and Judah loved David, for he went out and came in before them. (1 Samuel 18: 11-16. ESV.)

And Saul spoke to Jonathan his son and to all his servants, that they should kill David. But Jonathan, Saul’s son, delighted much in David. 2And Jonathan told David, "Saul my father seeks to kill you. Therefore be on your guard in the morning. Stay in a secret place and hide yourself. (1 Samuel 19: 1 & 2.)


David continued to stay loyal to Saul however Saul still wanted to murder David.

And Saul sought to pin David to the wall with the spear, but he eluded Saul, so that he struck the spear into the wall. And David fled and escaped that night. (1 Samuel 19:10.)


David ran and fled from place to place. He did not stick around and continuously place himself in harm’s way in the hands of Saul. David had faith in God and the Lord was with David. Above all, David knew God would take care of everything. Saul sought out David and David continued to elude him until the day Saul entered the cave in which David was hiding and did not even notice when David came up and “stealthily cut off a corner of Saul’s robe.” Yet David spared Saul’s life.

Behold, this day your eyes have seen how the Lord gave you today into my hand in the cave. And some told me to kill you, but I spared you. I said, 'I will not put out my hand against my lord, for he is the Lord’s anointed.' 11See, my father, see the corner of your robe in my hand. For by the fact that I cut off the corner of your robe and did not kill you, you may know and see that there is no wrong or treason in my hands. I have not sinned against you, though you hunt my life to take it. 12 May the Lord judge between me and you, may the Lord avenge me against you, but my hand shall not be against you. (1 Samuel 24:10-12.)

As soon as David had finished speaking these words to Saul, Saul said, "Is this your voice, my son David?" And Saul lifted up his voice and wept. 17He said to David, "You are more righteous than I, for you have repaid me good, whereas I have repaid you evil. 18And you have declared this day how you have dealt well with me, in that you did not kill me when the Lord put me into your hands. 19For if a man finds his enemy, will he let him go away safe? So may the Lord reward you with good for what you have done to me this day. 20And now, behold, I know that you shall surely be king, and that the kingdom of Israel shall be established in your hand. 21 Swear to me therefore by the Lord that you will not cut off my offspring after me, and that you will not destroy my name out of my father’s house." 22And David swore this to Saul. Then Saul went home, but David and his men went up to the stronghold. (1 Samuel 24:16-22.)


A second time Saul was delivered into David’s hands yet David did not strike him down.

Then Saul said, "I have sinned. Return, my son David, for I will no more do you harm, because my life was precious in your eyes this day. Behold, I have acted foolishly, and have made a great mistake." 22And David answered and said, "Here is the spear, O king! Let one of the young men come over and take it. 23 The Lord rewards every man for his righteousness and his faithfulness, for the Lord gave you into my hand today, and I would not put out my hand against the Lord’s anointed. 24Behold, as your life was precious this day in my sight, so may my life be precious in the sight of the Lord, and may he deliver me out of all tribulation." 25Then Saul said to David, "Blessed be you, my son David! You will do many things and will succeed in them." So David went his way, and Saul returned to his place. (1 Samuel 26:21-26. ESV.)


David trusted in God and Saul was won over. David’s enemy was not conquered by David himself but by God. I too must trust in my King and Christ Jesus. I must wait upon them to deliver me from my enemies…those who sin against me.

Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. (Romans 12:17. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails