Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Excellent Wife: Love is Not Irritable

THE LOVE DARE by Stephen & Alex Kendrick reminds me today that,
"Love is hard to offend and quick to forgive....The truth is, love does not get angry or hurt unless there is a legitimate and just reason in the sight of God....In each decision, love ultimately lowers your stress and helps you release the venom that can build up inside. It then sets up your heart to respond to your spouse with patience and encouragement rather than anger and exasperation."


God's word says,
"Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, 13 bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. 14 And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony." (Colossians 3:12-14. ESV.)


To tell you the truth, I am thoroughly enjoying THE LOVE DARE! Like RESPECTABLE SINS by Jerry Bridges, THE LOVE DARE is centered on God, His grace, His word, and Christ with an emphasis on Matthew 7:5...First, take the log out of your own eye!!! I love Matthew 7:5 books because I, of course, cannot change anyone other than myself! I can teach God's little lambs and encourage others however I am not their Holy Spirit and cannot convict nor provoke change. So really, why waste the energy trying and risk stirring up strife? This is not to say I do not make biblical appeals and/or give biblical reproofs as God's word instructs me to do. I hope I am making sense and not just typing gibberish.

THE LOVE DARE has also encouraged me to be creative when coming up with ways to bless my husband daily. A percentage of the "dares" are things I already do for my hubby on a regular basis so I am challenged to go above and beyond and come up with "little somethings" that are completely out of the ordinary. For example, when "dared" to "buy my spouse something that says, 'I was thinking of you today,'" I put a love song to him on his laptop. (It was meant to go onto his I-pod but after hours of failed attempts I had to settle with just placing it in his I-tunes on his computer.) This was in place of picking up his favorite snack while I was at the store, making a "candy run", grabbing him a ICEE at the gas station (which he loves), etc.

Sidebar: Only 72 more pages remaining of THE EXCELLENT WIFE by Martha Peace for me to read. I will, of course, continue with THE LOVE DARE even after I have completed THE EXCELLENT WIFE. And, unless another Matthew 7:5 book is recommended I have yet to read, I will be revisiting RESPECTABLE SINS to refresh on that one!

Good sense makes one slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook an offense. (Proverbs 19:11. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails