Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Excellent Wife: Walking with God

(by: me)

Enoch walked with God after he fathered Methuselah 300 years and had other sons and daughters. 23Thus all the days of Enoch were 365 years. 24Enoch walked with God, and he was not, for God took him. (Genesis 5:22-24. ESV.)

Malachi 2:6: True instruction was in his mouth, and no wrong was found on his lips. He walked with me in peace and uprightness, and he turned many from iniquity.

Hebrews 11:5: By faith Enoch was taken up so that he should not see death, and he was not found, because God had taken him. Now before he was taken he was commended as having pleased God.

Now when the LORD was about to take Elijah up to heaven by a whirlwind, Elijah and Elisha were on their way from Gilgal. 2And Elijah said to Elisha, "Please stay here, for the LORD has sent me as far as Bethel." But Elisha said, "As the LORD lives, and as you yourself live, I will not leave you." So they went down to Bethel. 3And the sons of the prophets who were in Bethel came out to Elisha and said to him, "Do you know that today the LORD will take away your master from over you?" And he said, "Yes, I know it; keep quiet."… 11And as they still went on and talked, behold, chariots of fire and horses of fire separated the two of them. And Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven. 12And Elisha saw it and he cried, "My father, my father! The chariots of Israel and its horsemen!" And he saw him no more. (2 Kings 2:1-3 & 11-12. ESV.)


When researching and studying about Enoch and Elijah’s walk with God I came across the following from John Piper:

“What we have seen in Hebrews now is that the nature of faith and the vitality of faith is rooted in what God is like, not what we are like. You don't find out what Christian faith is by consulting your felt needs. You find out by consulting the nature of God. Therefore, if you would have your faith be strong, and your soul be strong and your family be strong and your church be strong and your denomination and schools be strong, know your God. Know your God!

“The more you know what God is like, the more conformed to his greatness will be your faith. You will be more and more assured of things hoped for and more and more convinced of things unseen. And God's existence and fullness will be wonderfully displayed in your life.”


My heart’s desire is to walk with God like Enoch and Elijah did. They were so pleasing to Him that they did not even suffer death but rather went straight from this world to heaven…Elijah on a chariot of fire. For as long as I can remember I have had the knowledge of Enoch and love for God in my heart though I did not receive His grace and the Holy Spirit until about 2006.

My focus too often wanders from God and His precious Son to the ways of this world. I become wrapped up in the day to day and struggle with my sin of frustration over tedious things and being sinned against instead of staying steadfast on God’s word and what he requires of me! I should be preaching to myself God’s word every moment of every day! When sinned against and feeling the burn of the flesh I need to snap out of it immediately and listen to the Holy Spirit within me. Not to mention to be in fervent prayer.

I was recently mocked for reading books by godly men and women who write doctrinally sound material and filling my mind with their encouragement and wisdom. But as John Piper reminds me, the more I am familiar with the nature of God, the more obedient and pleasing to Him will be my faith!!! And, the closer I will walk with Him! It does not matter what others say who try to thwart me at every turn! Like John Bunyan’s little pilgrim, Christian, I must stick to the King’s path and not be deterred. I must consult God instead of listen to my heart which is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked (Jeremiah 17:9)!

And now, Israel, what does the LORD your God require of you, but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul… (Deuteronomy 10:12. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails