Monday, August 03, 2009

Faith Like a Grain of Mustard Seed

(by: me)

Okay, I hesitated in posting this because I was not sure if it was going to glorify God or be seen as foolishness. But my heart felt heavy and burdened with NOT sharing it so I guess you could say, I feel compelled to give you a glimpse of a seemingly mundane trip to the grocery store. First I would like to begin with:

"He said to them, 'Because of your little faith. For truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, "Move from here to there," and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you.'" (Matthew 17:20. ESV.)

Matthew 21:22: And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith."

John 16:24: Until now you have asked nothing in my name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.

John 14:14: If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.

John 14:13: Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.


Alright, so I was feeling rather overwhelmed yesterday, after church, when I went to do the grocery shopping. My cart was PACKED because, to be honest, we did not have the money for me to go shopping until we got a cash advance from the bank. Anyway, back to my sin of frustration. During the course of this trip small things were bugging me...like a tiny hole in one of the gallons of water I grabbed which leaked on other things in the cart and had to be put back but I did not feel like walking it all the way back to the aisle on which I found it so I just left it among the soft drinks...not to mention the children were tired of being there just as much as I was and were not behaving. So by the time I got nearly everything on the extensive list, made the way to the check out stand, unloaded, paid, bagged, reloaded, and made it out to the vehicle, I was not a happy camper. Sadly, I was struggling with my sin and was grumbling to myself as I had the kids get in the car and began to unload the groceries.

Now, to make matters worse, the cart would not stay put (as I was on a slight incline) and began rolling away each time I released it from my grasp. Okay, God, I thought to myself. I just need faith the size of a grain of mustard seed and all I have to do is ask for something in your name, right? Let's see if it really works! Dangerous thinking, right!!!! So I looked at the grocery cart and prayed, "In God's name STOP MOVING!"

Was I really expecting the cart to remain still? No, oh me of little faith! But I'll tell you what...and this is NO lie, joke, nor exaggeration...the cart began drifting backward again (at which I rolled my eyes), yet as it moved the two wheels closest to me slowly rotated to face each other, and it stopped and stayed perfectly motionless until I had taken all bags out, placed them in my vehicle, and moved the cart myself to put it among the others waiting to be returned to the store.

HA! God sure showed me, didn't He? I smiled then and I am grinning now just thinking about it. And boy do I wish I had taken a picture of it sitting there nicely just as I had asked God! And if He is willing to do that for me over a shopping cart imagine what He is doing in my life right now!!!! Something more amusing than a stinking cart and more beautiful than anything I could ever possibly imagine!!!!

"You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you." (John 15:16. ESV.)


That's my story and I'm sticking with it! :D
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails