Friday, September 18, 2009

Full Hands In. Full Hands Out.

When I was working outside the home a few years ago, in a restaurant, the kitchen had a rule. “Full hands in. Full hands out.” What this meant was, a server had to have “full hands” coming into the kitchen from the dining room (i.e. used dishes and silverware for the dishwasher, condiments, etc.) and had to be carrying stuff going out of the kitchen (i.e. prepared trays ready for service, soft drinks, etc.). I use this same rule around my house.

There are ALWAYS items strewn about the house that need to be returned to their proper places. When I go into the laundry room, I bring in with me dirty clothes that need to be laundered. When I leave, I take with me (into the bedroom) clean clothes to be sorted and folded. When I depart the bedroom, I carry with me used water glasses to be washed in the kitchen. When I go from the kitchen I bring toys that should go back in to the children’s bedroom. From the bedroom I have in my arms dirty clothes that need to be cleaned. And so it continues from there.

When I fall short on the organization of my household, it can take a whole day to get it all sorted out again! But I have found just staying on top of this simple task contributes greatly to a clean and relaxing home.

I am also on a cleaning schedule with the Flylady who has the residence divided up into “zones” and encourages that a little goes a long way. In other words, do not stress and try to do all the heavy cleaning in one day but rather spread it out over the course of the week for each “zone”. This week’s focus was “Zone 3” the bathroom and each day posed a new challenge not to mention the daily “Swish & Swipe”, emptying the dishwasher, and “rebooting” the laundry. Oh yeah, and addressing the “Stash and Dash space” and shining your sink. For someone with a loaded schedule, the Flylady is a good match. Thanks Rebecca for the tip! It has been such a blessing to me and my family.

…[she] works with willing hands….She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness…. Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. 31Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates. (Proverbs 31:13, 27, 30-31. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails