Thursday, September 03, 2009

Will it Matter in Eternity?

This is the new question I have started asking myself everyday, each time I find I have to make a decision. In regard to this inquiry I look to the following scripture:

Let each of us please his neighbor for his good, to build him up. (Romans 15:2. ESV. Emphasis added.)

For Christ did not please himself, but as it is written, "The reproaches of those who reproached you fell on me." (Romans 15:3. ESV. Emphasis added.)

Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. (Matthew 11:29. ESV. Emphasis added.)

And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. (Philippians 2:8. ESV. Emphasis added.)

"I can do nothing on my own. As I hear, I judge, and my judgment is just, because I seek not my own will but the will of him who sent me." (John 5:30. ESV. Emphasis added.)

For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me. (John 6:38. ESV. Emphasis added.)

For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you. (John 13:15. ESV. Emphasis added.)

For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps. (1 Peter 2:21. ESV. Emphasis added.)

...whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked. (1 John 2:6. ESV. Emphasis added.)


In other words, I have to ask myself who is going to benefit from the words that come out of my mouth, myself or the soul of the person to whom I am speaking? For example, who gets the parking spot closest to our house? Now as ridiculous as this is, it is honestly a spat in my household. Our driveway, garage, and one of the spots in front of our home are already full so that just leaves the second spot at the front of our house for parking. My worldly response to this is the space available should be MINE!!! My selfish reasoning being: I alone do the grocery shopping and cart the children and their stuff around so I “need” that front spot as a loading and unloading zone. Now to ask myself the all important question, “Will it matter in eternity?” Nope!!! So I have since let this quarrel go and park elsewhere when this particular spot is unavailable.


Presently, I woke this morning to a messy bathroom and dishes in the sink (when the dishwasher was available). My first response was to just clean up the disorder without biblical appeal or reproof. But, will it matter in eternity? Yes! I feel not addressing this matter is not the God honoring thing to do. Why? Because I believe it promotes laziness. Currently I am reaping the harvest of “spoiled” seed. You see, in an effort to be a Proverbs 31 wife I have inadvertently spoiled my family rotten! Instead of sowing seeds of “serving others”, “doing all things for the glory of the Lord”, “obedience”, and “working with willing hands” (to name a few) I have instead planted the seeds of idleness.

Who is benefiting from the fruit of slothfulness? Surly not the soul of the people I am supposed to be teaching and neither am I!!! In my opinion I am called to walk like Christ and uphold God’s word and instruction…NOT promote sin! I need to be building up not tearing down! And I am convicted to say, “No!” to myself and, “Yes!” to God...to be diligent in training up, consistent with discipline, and aware of my own sin of frustration when having to address attitudes which say, "Why should I do it when someone else can do it for me?"

Well then, I feel as though I have been all over the map on this post so I am going to summarize to hopefully pull it all together. The bottom line here is, I need to serve others. In part that means giving in when it's not an "eternity" or "sin" issue. The other side of that is I am required to make a biblical appeal, give a biblical reproof, and train up my children in the way they should go so that even when they are old they will not depart from it. That means not letting the sin of laziness slide because yes, it will matter in eternity. Not to mention it will determine what kind of relationship each child in my home will have with his or her spouse on a serve or be served level.

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. (Romans 12:2. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails