Tuesday, October 20, 2009

God I Trust You

But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the surpassing greatness of the power may be of God and not from ourselves; we are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body. For we who live are constantly being delivered over to death for Jesus' sake, that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh. But having the same spirit of faith, according to what is written, "I believed, therefore I spoke," we also believe, therefore also we speak; knowing that he who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also with Jesus and will present us with you. For all things are for your sakes, that the grace which is spreading to more and more people may cause the giving of thanks to abound to the glory of God. Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day. For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal. (2 Corinthians 4:7-18.)


God is convicting me this morning…big time! As I have the children working on school studies I scan over “My Blog List” to see what new (and exciting) things my fellow bloggers are writing about today. The first post I visited was entitled “It’s Comfy Though…” and included the Youtube video of Francis Chan’s “Balance Beam” analogy. (It’s quite good, by the way, if you have not viewed it yet.) Feeling rather guilty, from there I then went to another friend’s blog who posted “What I Learned from a Toilet” and was talking about how God is teaching her that putting things off is wrong. And between those two lessons is exactly where I sit today as I give my computer the evil eye for rebuking me.

You see, God has made a path very clear for me but I am hemming and hawing hoping God will change things because I #1 am stalling because I #2 do not want to let go of my (material) things (mainly) and my comfort in those tangible objects. But I know God’s ways are perfect and the outcome is going to be more amazing than I could ever imagine. And I’m not even that scared of the seemingly unknown anymore…(or so I think). It’s more of a…well…I’m a creature of habit. I do the same routine every morning and afternoon until about 2:00 or 3:00 p.m. And when things get out of order it frustrates me and sends me into a “panic” if you will (for lack of a better word). I have to stop myself and say, “It’s really not that big of a deal, you can make the change.”

There’s a song that has really touched my heart lately (and given me great encouragement) and in it there are two lines that say, “I am willing to go where You want me to. God I trust You.” The question in my mind is not, “What does God want me to do?” He has clearly given me direction. The issue I cannot seem to get past right now is, “How?” The devil, quite frankly, is in the details! Not to mention with the holidays up and coming the particulars are all the more devilish. So the bottom line here is (I think) I’m just going to have to close my eyes and jump…(after prayer, of course).

When seeking God regarding uncomfortable, frightening, or stressful situations Jon Bloom (for Desiring God Ministries) wrote the following which rings true in my heart,
“Now, there is not some law outside of God dictating to him what he must do. If something ‘must’ take place it is something he determines in the secret counsels of his own will….

“So how do we know we can trust God’s goodness when he decrees a horrible must, something beyond our ability to comprehend that might appear to us capricious or even evil? The best place to look is the cross.

“Anyone who has ever wrestled and even agonized over God’s musts has a sympathetic High Priest. Three times in Gethsemane Jesus pleaded with his Father, 'My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will' (Matthew 26:39). Listen to the Son: Father, must these things take place? If they must, I will trust you.

“The Father had decreed a must. And in the intensity of the pain the Son pleads to be delivered from it. But the cross must be endured for all righteousness to be fulfilled and for the maximum glory of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit to be seen, as well as for the joy of the saints to be experienced. So the Son endures the Father’s must for the joy that was set before him—and all of us (Hebrews 12:2)….

“If you are tempted to wonder how any good could possibly redeem the evil you see in the musts that you endure or see in the world or see in the Bible, take a long, lingering look at the cross. There is glory there that will bring you the inexpressible joy you long for (1 Peter 1:8).” (By Jon Bloom. © Desiring God. Website: desiringGod.org.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails