Tuesday, October 06, 2009

When God Gives Lemons…

…I best be thankful for the stinkin’ lemons! I often struggle with my sin of discontentment (Philippians 4:11b). The sour things in life make my mouth pucker into a grimace of disapproval and displeasure. But Christ did not say, “Follow me and life will be a carnival!” Nope, he actually said quite the opposite! So why do I expect the thrill rides and squeal of laughter and pure exuberance? Because I am a foolish, wretched sinner to be sure!

Yesterday, two of the children in my home wanted pancakes however the box (of pancake mix) was nearly empty. I think there was perhaps 1/8 or 1/16 of a cup left…only enough to make one small pancake. Without the money to run down to the local store and buy more I had to bust out my “Good Housekeeping Cookbook” I had bought at the library for $0.50 and make the pancake batter from scratch. Flour, milk, one egg, sugar, baking powder, and salt…all of which I happened (and almost surprisingly) had lingering around the kitchen. Vola! Homemade pancakes to boot!

The point here is, I’m a “just add water” type gal so being Ms. Susie Homemaker in the kitchen is a stretch for me. But I’m thankful God is growing me. And who knows, it just might be an extra blessing for my family as well. So the meal took a little longer to make than I had expected. It happens, and I need to be thankful for ALL things not just the stuff I feel suits me best (Philippians 2:14)!

With the tribulation of the finances (which, to tell you the truth, has been going on for a while now and is at a critical point) it’s (beyond) time for me to stick to the needs and say goodbye to the wants of our household. If that means dinners of beanies and weenies (Kielbasa sausage and baked beans drizzled with honey), having to make my own laundry detergent using a handy dandy recipe I found on a website, and say farewell to the fancy stuff…well, so be it! I know I am more precious to my King than a simple flower and He will provide the means for all I (and my family) need (Hebrews 13:5). Not to worry! (Even if that means God sending in family members to give us a hand from time to time. Thanks you guys! I cannot express my gratitude enough for your servant’s heart and I sincerely apologize for my sin of unthankfulness (a.k.a. trying to talk you out of it)! Your very generous financial aid is truly a beautiful, unexpected blessing!)

I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth. (Psalm 121:1-2. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails