Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Wife Swap

Not that I am a fan of the television show, because I have only seen it perhaps twice, but sometimes I wonder with what sort of family they would place me in a “swap”. (Actually I do not even know if this show is still on the air or not.) I’m sure for drama purposes they would choose a family/wife/schedule the exact opposite of my own as I have seen them place city folk in country houses, conservatives in liberal households, and the cleanest of wives in the messiest of homes! Wives who rise early have been placed in a residence where they were told to sleep in late and the children got themselves ready and out the door to meet the bus for school. One wife who was used to playing video games all day was forced to do chores, make meals, and care for a family. Another woman whose top priority was training up her children was placed in a dwelling where nannies took care of the children while the wife shopped the day away and only spent one hour with the kids before bed each night.

I’m sure most/many wives have a schedule such as mine however sometimes (on the rare occasion) I am curious as to where I would end up! My day usually starts very early as my boxer typically gets the urge to use the restroom in the wee hours of the morning and wakes me to let him outside. Generally he only gets up once (maybe twice) but for the past two nights/ mornings he was up three times (once at 11:45 p.m., then between 1:00 and 2:00 a.m., and the last time after 3:00 a.m.). The youngest child in my household is habitually up for the day between 6:30 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. School studies begin between 8:30 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. We have bible study first (for half an hour) to put on the whole armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-20), second is math for an hour, then language skills/ language arts for an hour, third is phonics for one and spelling for the other (60 minutes), then literature and penmanship (60 minutes), followed by history or science, and finally Spanish or art. All in all studies take place from around 9:00 a.m. until about 4:00 or 5:00 p.m. (with 30 minutes or so for lunch...unless the older children need me to drop them off or pick them up at their school then this time is cut short by a couple hours).

Following school are extra curricular activities. The oldest child has piano on Wednesdays, I teach dance on Thursdays (from 3:00-5:00 p.m.), and Friday the youngest has bowling league. To end each day we return home for dinner then preparations for bedtime. Between doing studies with the children and getting them to their activities I design websites for clients and do chores (laundry, dishes, cleaning, etc.) around the house. There are quite a few days however when the chores do not get finished but I do at least get my family fed most of the time. But as I mentioned before, I’m sure the average wife does the equivalent of this (and more) according to the season she is in, in her life so as not to eat the bread of idleness (Proverbs 31:27).

I am thankful for my busyness and what God has provided for my life. One day I am prayerful my family and I can go on missions together however right now I am addressing the mission field in my own home.

In quietness and in trust shall be your strength. (Isaiah 30:15. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails