Thursday, November 05, 2009

The Power of Sin is in its Secrecy

I first came across the saying, “The power of sin is in its secrecy,” while surfing through the Duggar’s website. It’s such a small sentence but a rather large statement. And as a person who has been imprisoned and ruled by the secrecy of someone else’s slavery to sin, I understand this profound adage quite well.

I cannot help but wonder, “Why keep the secret?” God is not glorified in that!

Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. (1 Peter 5:8. ESV.)

Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. (Ephesians 6:11. ESV.)

Then Satan answered the LORD and said, "Does Job fear God for no reason? 10Have you not put a hedge around him and his house and all that he has, on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land. 11But stretch out your hand and touch all that he has, and he will curse you to your face." 12And the LORD said to Satan, "Behold, all that he has is in your hand. Only against him do not stretch out your hand." So Satan went out from the presence of the LORD. (Job 1:9-12. ESV.)

"Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat, (Luke 22:31. ESV.)

Tell the righteous that it shall be well with them, for they shall eat the fruit of their deeds. Woe to the wicked! It shall be ill with him, for what his hands have dealt out shall be done to him. (Isaiah 3:10 & 11. ESV.)

Curses for Disobedience (Deuteronomy 28:15-68.)

Save me from the mouth of the lion! You have rescued me from the horns of the wild oxen! (Psalm 22:21. ESV.)


The Great Surgeon is cutting deep but the wounds will heal. These 11 years of “heart surgery” (tribulation) have truly been a blessing from my Sovereign, merciful King…though there are those who would probably think me as bonkers for saying such a thing. Not to mention the “collateral damage” (the impact on those around me) is humbling…seeing God at work in individuals in close proximity to me.

As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today. (Genesis 50:20. ESV.)


I do have to admit though, in addition to the pain from the Great Physician’s scalpel I have also felt the sting of loneliness and little to no protection (aside from His). But I suppose my King wanted me nearly 100% dependent on Him, His son, and His AMAZING GRACE! He blinded me (to an extent) and those around me (to a certain degree) so a true connection and understanding could not be made until just recently…when the timing was PERFECT for His will to be carried out! I am still in waiting. The big picture hidden from my eyes…but my trust is all in Him who lights my path and paves the way.

I must stay focused on God, Christ, and God’s faithful word. Justin Taylor reminds me,
“Times have changed, but the Word of God has not. It is still “the sword of the Spirit” (Eph. 6:17), “sharper than any two-edged sword” (Heb. 4:12). Let us wield it well as we seek to “destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God” (2 Cor. 10:5).”


Further, John Piper reminds me,
“that the rebellion and unbelief of the unbelieving…will turn Christianity into a sword that severs, instead of a peaceful balm that heals.” (Matthew 10:34ff.) (By John Piper. © Desiring God. Website: desiringGod.org)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails