Friday, December 18, 2009

Christmas Dilemma

I am without a car and devoid of money, which poses a double dilemma for me…how and what am I going to get my loved ones for Christmas?

I suppose I could search the web and local businesses for all the freebees I can get…and to start brainstorming creative gift ideas. I do have a "white elephant" gift (I won) and I can make some cookies to pass along but other than that I have nothing tangible to offer…except maybe some homemade cards (and a smile).

Now, before I go and make the illusion of a pity party for myself I want to make something very clear…I am thankful for where God has me in this season! It (though it may not appear to be) is a very special blessing and answer to a deep heartfelt prayer I have been repeating for many months (at least 6-12 if memory serves). My joy is in my sovereign King who as a Father has given His daughter her most genuine and pure of heart request. The lack of a vehicle and funds is merely a small technicality in a vast ocean of a blessing.

And here, in the midst of this sin of worry, is where I NEED to stop listening to myself, start preaching to myself, and take careful consideration of all my thoughts. 2 Corinthians 10:5 teaches me to "destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ." A post by 9Marks was an excellent reminder to me of this and James 1 which talks about testing of faith.

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, 3for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. 4And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing…. Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him…. If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person’s religion is worthless. 27Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world. (James 1:1-4, 12, 26-27. ESV.)

But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

34 "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. (Matthew 6:33-34. ESV.)

Matthew 5:20: 20For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

1 King 3:11-14: And God said to him, "Because you have asked this, and have not asked for yourself long life or riches or the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern what is right, 12behold, I now do according to your word. Behold, I give you a wise and discerning mind, so that none like you has been before you and none like you shall arise after you. 13 I give you also what you have not asked, both riches and honor, so that no other king shall compare with you, all your days. 14And if you will walk in my ways, keeping my statutes and my commandments, as your father David walked, then I will lengthen your days."

1 Timothy 4:8: for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.

1 Peter 3:9: Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing.

James 4:13-14: Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit"— 14yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.


As for the creative gift ideas…here are some websites I have found with really neat suggestions and recipes.

100 Home-Made Gift Ideas

63 Gift Ideas for Under $10 - For Any Occasion of the Year!

Free and Low-Cost Christmas Gifts: Homemade Christmas Gifts that Won't Break the Bank
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails