Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Missions, Prayer, and the Book GOD SPOKE TIBETAN

Currently I am reading GOD SPOKE TIBETAN: The Epic Story of the Men Who Gave the Bible to Tibet, the Forbidden Land by Allan Maberly (published by Evangle Bible Translators). It is a short story of only 150 pages which I could probably finish in a day (without the average day’s duties) however I find I am having a hard time staying focused. Therefore, after one week I have only completed the first chapter thus far.

As I mentioned before, I had the pleasure of hearing a message by H. Syvelle Phillips (the founder of Evangel Bible Translators (EBT)) who also told a touching story about a woman who traveled to the EBT training center to finish the work her husband had started (translating the bible) after he was murdered.

GOD SPOKE TIBETAN begins in 1855 with the death of the Dalai Lama and the fleeing of the one accused of the murder. I feel the story is well written and I cannot wait to see what happens next!

I think I will close with some quotes from John Piper who reminds me that,
"God with infinite power and knowledge has ordained in His all-encompassing foreknowledge and infinite wisdom to respond to the pleading of His people, the cause of His own action, and perform great triumphs through prayer. He has decreed to make the prayers of His people the cause of His triumph in many battles....

"The point is this: God has ordained to respond to the pleading of his people and perform great triumphs through prayer. He has decreed to make the prayers of his people the cause of his triumph in many battles. The prayers that win these battles come from Christian vision. And Christian vision is not the imagining of a possibility, but the grasping of an inevitability. That inevitability is the triumph of God in world evangelization: "All the families of the nations shall worship before thee. For dominion belongs to the Lord." To reach out and take hold of this great reality is life—the life of a local church, and the life of the human soul and the life of prayer." (By John Piper. © Desiring God. Website: desiringGod.org.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails