Sunday, January 31, 2010

Your Sin Will Find You Out

I like the passage at the end of Numbers 32:23 where it says,
"…you have sinned against the LORD, and be sure your sin will find you out."

Isaiah 59:12: For our transgressions are multiplied before you, and our sins testify against us; for our transgressions are with us, and we know our iniquities:


As if I did not already feel convicted by the Holy Spirit to walk with a clear conscience before the Lord, Numbers 32:23 drives it home for me. So even if I were to sin and not get caught by man, my sin would seek me out and "testify against" me before my King who knows my heart.

This, of course, leads me back to my post of yesterday which defines sin as anything (and everything) that does not proceed from faith. Not to mention, God's word has quite a bit to say about a clean or good conscience.

The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. (1 Timothy 1:5)

2 Timothy 2:22: So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.

1 Peter 3:16: having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.

1 Peter 3:21: Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,


…holding faith and a good conscience. By rejecting this, some have made shipwreck of their faith, (1 Timothy 1:19)

1 Timothy 3:9: They must hold the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience.


So I always take pains to have a clear conscience toward both God and man. (Acts 24:16)

1 Timothy 4:7: Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness;

1 Timothy 4:15: Practice these things, immerse yourself in them, so that all may see your progress.

Acts 23:1: And looking intently at the council, Paul said, "Brothers, I have lived my life before God in all good conscience up to this day."


Thus, sinning against your brothers and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ. (1 Corinthians 8:12)

Matthew 18:6:…but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.

Zechariah 2:8: …for he who touches you touches the apple of his eye:

Matthew 25:45: Then he will answer them, saying, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.'


…let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. (Hebrews 10:22)

1 Peter 1:2: according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in the sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and for sprinkling with his blood: May grace and peace be multiplied to you.

Hebrews 9:14: how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to serve the living God.

1 Corinthians 6:11: And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.


I pray that "when [I am] slandered, those who revile [my] good behavior in Christ may be put to shame". More importantly, I pray God is glorified in my life each and every day.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails