Friday, February 12, 2010

The Hanging Gardens of Babylon

Today one of my children was studying the Hanging Gardens of Babylon which were build by King Nebuchadnezzar for his wife. Now, I have great interest in Nebuchadnezzar because he reminds me to be humble. John Piper describes the account of Nebuchadnezzar this way,
"One of the most vivid illustrations of [pride taking credit for what God alone does] is the case of Nebuchadnezzar, the king of Babylon.

"[Nebuchadnezzar said], 'Is this not Babylon the great, which I myself have built as a royal residence by the might of my power and for the glory of my majesty?' 31 While the word was in the king's mouth, a voice came from heaven, saying, 'King Nebuchadnezzar . . . sovereignty has been removed from you . . . 32 until you recognize that the Most High is ruler over the realm of mankind, and bestows it on whomever He wishes.' (Daniel 4:30-32)

"Then, after his season of humiliation grazing in the fields like an ox, Nebuchadnezzar is restored and confesses,

"Now I Nebuchadnezzar praise, exalt, and honor the King of heaven, for all His works are true and His ways just, and He is able to humble those who walk in pride. (Daniel 4:37; cf. Isaiah 10:12)"
(Piper, John. "Are You Humble Enough to Be Care-Free?". 1994.)


The Hanging Gardens of Babylon were even considered one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Click here to read more about the Gardens.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails