Tuesday, February 16, 2010

How I Almost Quit

I cannot help but smile as I look at the title of this and the link from which it came…John Piper, my favorite teacher. And if my instructor felt this way from time to time then I should not feel bad that I do as well.

Just this morning I was thinking to myself (regarding my current season), "Lord, this is too hard. You have picked the wrong servant. Maybe I should just give up, go back to the sin ruled situation from which I came, and let the chips fall where they may (instead of standing firm and waiting where I am)."

Thankfully, God knows my heart and my thoughts before I even go to Him in prayer. I was delighted to see John Piper's blog post sitting in my email inbox waiting to encourage me. Thank you, Lord!

John Piper begins by stating,
"Are you so discouraged you don’t know what to do next? I want to help you get through this. Maybe this will help.

"The following quote is from my journal dated November 6, 1986. I had been at Bethlehem 6 years. If you have ever felt like this, remember this is 24 years ago and I am still here.

"The point is: Beware of giving up too soon. Our emotions are not reliable guides."
He goes on to say much, much more. Click here to go to the post.

1I lift up my eyes to the hills.
From where does my help come?
2 My help comes from the LORD,
who made heaven and earth.
3He will not let your foot be moved;
he who keeps you will not slumber
.
4Behold, he who keeps Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep. (Psalm 121:1-4. ESV.)


Praise be to God!
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails