Thursday, February 04, 2010

HOW TO PRAY by R.A. Torrey

I am currently reading three books and cannot decide if I want to blog as I read or just wait and do a book review when I am finished…hum…decisions, decisions…okay, perhaps I will do both. Or, even better, I'll begin with blogging as I go along and then if the mood strikes me I will give a review at the finish. Does that makes sense or just sound redundant? And I do not stick with the same book consistently because a have a bad habit of reading three to five at a time (as I have mentioned before). But now I'm just babbling so without further ado…

(Disclaimer: Please pardon my frankness but I have to say, I generally do NOT mention anything on my blog with which I disagree. My thought being, bad press is still press so I prefer to do a little research on the author, teacher, various people, etc. and stand behind them and their book/causes. Whether it is John Piper, John MacArthur, Jonathan Edwards, Tim Tebow (who just happens to be on my favorite football team - GO GATORS), Gianna Jessen, or anyone in between, I love showing my support however do not wish to be lead astray (or encourage anyone else off course). My focus is the glory of God.)

Thus far today I have been reading from HOW TO PRAY by R.A. Torrey. In an effort to "get to know" Torrey a little bit better I sought out information on the internet. I stopped by Monergism.com and was able to find one link.

Personally, I have found Torrey's HOW TO PRAY quite encouraging. It is a pint size book containing all of 107 pages so, really, I should be able to read through this book once a month or more. Currently, I am on chapter 11 out of 12. With a desire to be more disciplined in my time of prayer, this book has offered scripture and guidance in doing so. Among many other good points, Torrey stated the following,
"Our whole life should be a life of prayer. We should walk in constant communion with God. There should be a constant looking upward to God. We should walk so habitually in His presence that even when we awake in the night it would be the most natural thing for us to speak to Him in thanksgiving or petition."


While reading I have become so excited to share! I wish I could place the text in its entirety here but alas readers will have to purchase this book or borrow it from the library. I believe I can say, Torry writes there is power in prayer, it is lead by and in the Holy Spirit, unto God, without ceasing, with great emotion, with our whole soul, with unbearable longing, in obedience, according to His word and His will, in sincerity, in the name of Christ Jesus and His atoning blood, believing, without fainting, never giving up, without sin or selfishness, with thanksgiving, with the purpose of God's glory, in the morning and in the evening (even all night if called for). But that is only scratching the surface.

I am thankful my Aunt D. gave me this book for Christmas and look forward to more precious time at the foot of the throne, communing with my King. And I am grateful beyond words that God chose me even though I did not choose Him. I had chosen myself. To God be the glory!
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails