Monday, February 22, 2010

If One Member Suffers, All Suffer Together

1Then he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to accuse him. 2And the LORD said to Satan, "The LORD rebuke you, O Satan! The LORD who has chosen Jerusalem rebuke you! Is not this a brand plucked from the fire?" 3Now Joshua was standing before the angel, clothed with filthy garments. 4And the angel said to those who were standing before him, "Remove the filthy garments from him." And to him he said, "Behold, I have taken your iniquity away from you, and I will clothe you with pure vestments." 5And I said, "Let them put a clean turban on his head." So they put a clean turban on his head and clothed him with garments. And the angel of the LORD was standing by. (Zechariah 3:1-5. ESV.)


This Sunday, the pastor at the Sovereign Grace church plant I attended quoted this scripture and a portion of it stuck out to me. So, I am going to take it out of context for this post.

1Then he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to accuse him. 2And the LORD said to Satan, "The LORD rebuke you, O Satan! The LORD who has chosen Jerusalem rebuke you! Is not this a brand plucked from the fire?" (Zechariah 3:1-2. ESV.)


When I read this I saw a picture in my mind of a courtroom where God is the presiding Judge, satan is the prosecutor, and one of God's own is on trial. To paint this picture further I am going to pluck a popular story out of current events in the media. Some may not have heard of the accusations that have been brought against Christian World Adoption (CWA) but CBS news did a story just recently in the United States (and a few months ago in Australia) condemning CWA for child trafficking (of all foolishness)!

In a rebuttal interview with CWA's attorney, he replies to the question (one of many questions) as to why CWA is suing regarding the false accusations brought against them by stating,
"The only way CWA can get a full airing of the facts, the only place they can open the file and address the things in detail, not secrets, not innuendos by hidden witnesses. The only way CWA can have a full airing of this is in court."
Which brings me back to Zechariah 3:1-2.

Now, being I cannot see the hearts of those who run CWA I have to trust their words. And their expressions tell me they are followers of Christ. (Further, I personally know someone who is a witness of the way CWA operates.) As one in the body of Christ, I support others in the body. I have to say, "Is not this a brand plucked from the fire?" and stand firm for the glory of God.

33Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. (Romans 8:33. ESV.)

Isaiah 50:8-9: 8 He who vindicates me is near. Who will contend with me? Let us stand up together. Who is my adversary? Let him come near to me. 9 Behold, the Lord GOD helps me; who will declare me guilty? Behold, all of them will wear out like a garment; the moth will eat them up.

Revelation 12:10-11: 10And I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, "Now the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ have come, for the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God. 11And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death.


Whether it is CWA or another Christ follower who is facing adversity, iniquity, prosecution, and/or persecution…they NEED the body of Christ to help sustain them!!! Which, isn't that why God gave us the body of Christ in the first place (1 Corinthians 12:12-31. ESV.)…so none belonging to Him would ever have to fight alone? Not to mention, the enemy is merciless, unyielding, relentless, and utterly ruthless! If the body judges and is divided against each other and does not stand up for one another than who will?

21The eye cannot say to the hand, "I have no need of you," nor again the head to the feet, "I have no need of you." 22On the contrary, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23and on those parts of the body that we think less honorable we bestow the greater honor, and our unpresentable parts are treated with greater modesty, 24which our more presentable parts do not require. But God has so composed the body, giving greater honor to the part that lacked it, 25that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. 26If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together. (1 Corinthians 12:21-26. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails