Monday, March 15, 2010

Because Their Hearts Were Different

A few weeks ago a dear loved one gave me some of her "old" jewelry to do with as I wish. Some of it was silver and the rest was gold. She said she no longer wanted it and I could keep it or sell it, whatever my desire. A few days to a week after that another loved one suggested we have a "Cash for Gold" party. She was willing to "lend" me her home so I could be the hostess and earn an additional 10% based on all the gold that was sold. Do you see God's orchestration in all of this yet?

Yesterday was the "Cash for Gold" get together at which there were only a handful of people but the total sold in gold was $710.00. My personal total for the day was $116.00. That is not a lot however it is $116.00 more than I had the day before…and that I can put toward debt owed. Praise God!

I am so thankful God is sovereign even over the mundane. He provides all that I need. That money, combined with my paycheck from freelance work and two other checks I received this month (one from a company as a "reward" and one from a school) puts me nearly at what I need to cover monthly expenses.

I cannot help but wonder…If God is so faithful in supplying what I need each month, why would He not take care of every portion of my life? There is still one main area about which I worry. But why? Hasn't God shown me over and again to trust in Him completely and He will take care of everything?

I am reminded of Joshua and Caleb. Moses sent them (and a few others) to "spy out" the land of Canaan. (Numbers 13.) During this time the Israelites were whining, complaining, and questioning as to why the Lord would bring them out of Egypt to the wilderness only to die in battle. Joshua and Caleb said to the people,
"The land, which we passed through to spy it out, is an exceedingly good land. 8If the LORD delights in us, he will bring us into this land and give it to us, a land that flows with milk and honey. 9Only do not rebel against the LORD. And do not fear the people of the land, for they are bread for us. Their protection is removed from them, and the LORD is with us; do not fear them." 10 Then all the congregation said to stone them with stones. But the glory of the LORD appeared at the tent of meeting to all the people of Israel.

11And the LORD said to Moses, "How long will this people despise me? And how long will they not believe in me, in spite of all the signs that I have done among them? 12I will strike them with the pestilence and disinherit them, and I will make of you a nation greater and mightier than they." (Numbers 14:7-12. ESV.)


Moses said to the Lord,
Now if you kill this people as one man, then the nations who have heard your fame will say, 16'It is because the LORD was not able to bring this people into the land that he swore to give to them that he has killed them in the wilderness.' 17And now, please let the power of the Lord be great as you have promised, saying, 18 'The LORD is slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, forgiving iniquity and transgression, but he will by no means clear the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, to the third and the fourth generation.' (Numbers 14:15-18. ESV.)


Now, because of their unbelief despite the Lord's faithfulness and care of them, the Israelites 20 years and older did not get to enter into the promised land of Canaan and were condemned to die in the wilderness except for Joshua and Caleb because their hearts were different.
And the men whom Moses sent to spy out the land, who returned and made all the congregation grumble against him by bringing up a bad report about the land— 37the men who brought up a bad report of the land— died by plague before the LORD. 38Of those men who went to spy out the land, only Joshua the son of Nun and Caleb the son of Jephunneh remained alive. (Numbers 14:36-38. ESV.)


Like Joshua and Caleb my heart needs to remain different. My focus must stay on God and my conscience has to continue to be clear before God. I cannot doubt or be concerned for the things I cannot change. Only the Lord has control over the issues (especially the ones that are out of my hands). I can only take responsibility for myself. I will be ever prayerful for wisdom and for the Lord to speak to my heart.

Thus the LORD used to speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend. (Exodus 33:11. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails