Friday, April 23, 2010

Answer With God's Word

My children are learning that not everyone is patient and kind (1 Corinthians 13:4). A few times the younger ones have returned from outings and described how peers or adults were behaving in a manner they felt was mean (i.e. pushing, yelling at them, saying "shut up", etc.). In response to this, I want my kiddos to know, "A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." (Proverbs 15:1. ESV.) Further, in these circumstances they should answer using God's word.

Now, I do not mean they should preach at people or say, "The Lord says…" in a condescending manner. However, I would like for them to reply with a verse such as, "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not anger easily," (1 Corinthians 13:4-5) or "Out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks." (Matthew 12:34.) Which, I know, is easier said than done…but I prefer they at least try.

But that is for the average/ minor stuff. One of my older children told me yesterday about how she is being bullied. It is much more severe than the above mentioned taunting. My child is hurting and there is nothing I can do (personally) to help. I have to once again depend on my King and go to the foot of His throne.

The Lord is your keeper; the Lord is your shade on your right hand. The sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night. (Psalm 121:5-6. ESV.)


I believe my King is sovereign and He will protect the little lambs He has entrusted to me. I just have to have faith and He will do the rest.

Psalm 91:1: He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.

Psalm 16:8: I have set the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.

Isaiah 49:10: they shall not hunger or thirst, neither scorching wind nor sun shall strike them, for he who has pity on them will lead them, and by springs of water will guide them.


It would be so easy for me to start making calls and trying to fix this myself…but I know it will only drive me crazy. I have learned TWICE before that it is far better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man (Psalm 118:8)! The last time I depended on my King He delivered me (and my family), provided, and protected. This time will be no different.

Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us. (Psalm 62:8. ESV.)

Put not your trust in princes, in a son of man, in whom there is no salvation. (Psalm 146:3. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails